Questions on adding subs to existing setup!

muffinman542

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 26, 2020
Louisiana
Ive got a 07 Chevy Tahoe and have it outfitted in Sundown Audio. So i have 2 sundown 12s in the back, they slam no doubt but i feel like im missing some of the higher bass notes and looking to fix that. So what should i do to avoid the muddled bass notes ive read happen when you add more subs to your setup and such. Thanks in advance!

audioholic

not a moderator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Aug 31, 2003
Parts Unknown
A subwoofer is only required to play 2 to 3 octaves, you do not need different drivers to cover that small freq range. It sounds like what you are wanting is midbass, not subbass. Midbass is directional and should be in your front stage, not your rear compartment. The most conventional way to gain this would be to run a 3-way front stage with dedicated midbass drivers in your (front) doors.

muffinman542

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 26, 2020
Louisiana
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A subwoofer is only required to play 2 to 3 octaves, you do not need different drivers to cover that small freq range. It sounds like what you are wanting is midbass, not subbass. Midbass is directional and should be in your front stage, not your rear compartment. The most conventional way to gain this would be to run a 3-way front stage with dedicated midbass drivers in your (front) doors.

Awesome. Thank you for the reply. I will look up how to do this and get it taken care of 🙌💪

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
5,000+ posts
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
you are lacking midbass. Your subs are not supposed to cover that range, your doors are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds