Questions For A New Subwoofer Installation

hutt132
10+ year member

US
I have a 2008 Saturn Aura and I would like to install a new subwoofer.

I am getting an Alpine SWR-12D4

Alpine SWR-12D4 (swr12d4) 12" Dual 4 Ohm Type-R Series Car Subwoofer

I see it on Amazon for much cheaper, but it doesn’t give much specs, so I just want to make sure it is the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-SWR-12D4-Type-R-Subwoofer-4-ohm/dp/B007XW2WTK/

In the description, the RMS Power Handling says 300-1000 watts, but in the Specs tab, it says 600 watt RMS, so I assume that it’s 600 RMS.

The most confusing thing so far is finding the right amp.

I have tried to research how much power and what ohms to use but nothing was clear to me.

I want to get a Class D Monoblock amp.

For the sub I am getting, from what I understand, I want an amp around 600 watts.

I don’t understand which ohms to look at though. Since my sub is DVC, do I get an amp with 600 watts @ 4 ohms or 600 watts @ 2 ohms?

I plan on getting a ported box. The minimum to maximum ported box volume says 1.0 to 2.0 cubic feet, but I heard that those numbers were low, so I was thinking about getting something around 2 cubic feet.

Sonic Electronix doesn’t have a great selection of enclosures, but this is probably the best one I could find.

Belva 1SV12B Single 12" Vented MDF Enclosure - Sonic Electronix

I’m not sure if it is any good, but if anyone knows a better box for the sub I want, please suggest some. I want to stay around the same price, and I don’t want to get a custom one made because it would cost much more.

I found this one on Amazon and I think it might be better and it actually says the fequency it is tuned at.

Amazon.com: R/T 300 Enclosure Series -318-12 Alpine - Single 12-Inch Slot Vented Sub Bass Hatchback Speaker Box with Labyrinth Power Port for Alpine Subs: Car Electronics

For the head unit I think the JVC KD-R530 would be good.

JVC KD-R530 (KDR530) w/ Front USB, iPod Control & Pandora Support

In the picture it looks like there is a wiring harness so I was wondering if it comes with one.

What’s the best place I can get an installation kit so my head unit will fit in my car because the stock one is much larger, along with a wiring harness and an antenna adapter?

I’m not sure what kind of wiring or wiring kit to get either. Would 8 gauge work, or is it pretty much required to get 4 gauge?

Also, how long do all of my wires need to be?

I haven’t done this before but comparing it to my friend’s truck and installation which was fairly easy, it seems like it might be quite difficult for my car. Do you think it is even possible for a beginner to set it up or should I take it in somewhere and have them install it?

[quote name='hutt132']I have a 2008 Saturn Aura and I would like to install a new subwoofer.
I am getting an Alpine SWR-12D4
Alpine SWR-12D4 (swr12d4) 12" Dual 4 Ohm Type-R Series Car Subwoofer
I see it on Amazon for much cheaper, but it doesn’t give much specs, so I just want to make sure it is the same thing.
Amazon.com: Alpine SWR-12D4 Type-R 12" Subwoofer with Dual 4-ohm Voice Coils: Car Electronics
In the description, the RMS Power Handling says 300-1000 watts, but in the Specs tab, it says 600 watt RMS, so I assume that it’s 600 RMS.

The most confusing thing so far is finding the right amp.
I have tried to research how much power and what ohms to use but nothing was clear to me.
I want to get a Class D Monoblock amp.
For the sub I am getting, from what I understand, I want an amp around 600 watts.
I don’t understand which ohms to look at though. Since my sub is DVC, do I get an amp with 600 watts @ 4 ohms or 600 watts @ 2 ohms?

I plan on getting a ported box. The minimum to maximum ported box volume says 1.0 to 2.0 cubic feet, but I heard that those numbers were low, so I was thinking about getting something around 2 cubic feet.
Sonic Electronix doesn’t have a great selection of enclosures, but this is probably the best one I could find.
Belva 1SV12B Single 12" Vented MDF Enclosure - Sonic Electronix
I’m not sure if it is any good, but if anyone knows a better box for the sub I want, please suggest some. I want to stay around the same price, and I don’t want to get a custom one made because it would cost much more.
I found this one on Amazon and I think it might be better and it actually says the fequency it is tuned at.
Amazon.com: R/T 300 Enclosure Series -318-12 Alpine - Single 12-Inch Slot Vented Sub Bass Hatchback Speaker Box with Labyrinth Power Port for Alpine Subs: Car Electronics

For the head unit I think the JVC KD-R530 would be good.
JVC KD-R530 (KDR530) w/ Front USB, iPod Control & Pandora Support
In the picture it looks like there is a wiring harness so I was wondering if it comes with one.
What’s the best place I can get an installation kit so my head unit will fit in my car because the stock one is much larger, along with a wiring harness and an antenna adapter?

I’m not sure what kind of wiring or wiring kit to get either. Would 8 gauge work, or is it pretty much required to get 4 gauge?
Also, how long do all of my wires need to be?

I haven’t done this before but comparing it to my friend’s truck and installation which was fairly easy, it seems like it might be quite difficult for my car. Do you think it is even possible for a beginner to set it up or should I take it in somewhere and have them install it?[/QUOTE]

@mylows10 hook this guy up with something that isn't pioneer.

ok hutt, your not to far south and i have many friends in the LA area that could install a system for you .

first ,the sub is ok at best ,by the specs i'd say an older version tho , the box , please dont do a prefab ,i can build you a better one , the deck i'd have to look up ,but i think its 2 sets of pre outs at 2 volts ,not very good again .also for a 600-1000 watt rms amp you need at least a 4 gauge amp kit .aqnd maybe even a big 3 kit as well.

Amazon.com: Alpine SWR-12D2 12: Electronics

and get a audio technix 800.1 on blowout for 155 shipped
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/audio-technix/576119-audio-technix-blowout-sale.html

get one of the audio technix 4awg kits from them 2 and be happy 27.99 :)

if you really want it sound amazing go the extra and spend a few extra bucks and get a custom box built will sound a million times better. @double 07 ; is your man

those pre fab boxes are tuned way 2 high and will sound like ****

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/starr-mountain-sound/571208-starr-mountain-sound-pricing.html
for custom built box here is his pricing

I’m still not sure about what amp to get. Should I look for one between 600 - 1000 RMS @ 2 ohms?

Would something like this work? Power Acoustik BAMF-2000/1D (bamf20001d) 2000W Max, Class D

I think I'm just going to get the ported box from Amazon because I have a low budget.

Will the 4ga CCA Amp Kit have everything I need and have long enough wires? I notice it is missing 4 gauge terminals for the power wire. What else might I need not in that kit?

The preamp out for the head unit I posted is 2.5v, not 2, so it should be enough.

I’m still not sure about what amp to get. Should I look for one between 600 - 1000 RMS @ 2 ohms?Would something like this work? Power Acoustik BAMF-2000/1D (bamf20001d) 2000W Max, Class D

I think I'm just going to get the ported box from Amazon because I have a low budget.

Will the 4ga CCA Amp Kit have everything I need and have long enough wires? I notice it is missing 4 gauge terminals for the power wire. What else might I need not in that kit?

The preamp out for the head unit I posted is 2.5v, not 2, so it should be enough.
I'd avoid Power Acoustik at all costs. Get the audiopipe mini 1000W amp for a budget amp that's proven somewhat reliable. I like my JVC head unit, I wouldn't worry there. The box is the last thing you want to cheap out on!

I'd avoid Power Acoustik at all costs. Get the audiopipe mini 1000W amp for a budget amp that's proven somewhat reliable. I like my JVC head unit, I wouldn't worry there. The box is the last thing you want to cheap out on!
I like the amp you recommend, but it's only 600 Watt x 1 Channel @ 2 Ohm. Don't you think that is a little underpowered for the sub I am getting?

Would this be better? Amplifiers | APSM-1500

[quote name='FamousMassacre']@mylows10 hook this guy up with something that isn't pioneer.[/QUOTE]

Hey, there you are. Didn't recognize you without the terrier dog thingy in your avatar. ;)

Hey, there you are. Didn't recognize you without the terrier dog thingy in your avatar. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
who me ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

who me ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Nah, your dog actually has some meat to him. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Nah, your dog actually has some meat to him. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
yea his name is boss, actually the step sons dog ,ours was the grey one thats all muscle ,was boss's

brother

yea his name is boss, actually the step sons dog ,ours was the grey one thats all muscle ,was boss'sbrother
I want something like a boxer so bad. The family dog is a Silkie Terrier, something like what FamousMassacre has.

But that's a story for a different thread. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

I want something like a boxer so bad. The family dog is a Silkie Terrier, something like what FamousMassacre has.
But that's a story for a different thread. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif
yea , we still have the the 2 white pits and a rott now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.