Questions about upgrading system

Participant count
  • Participant list

Basshead21
10+ year member

Hi guys, I am wanting to upgrade my system to something cleaner, and louder.

I currently have:

x2 12" Kenwood KFC-2012. (I know, I bought these as a super noob)

x2 6 1/2" eXcelon door speakers.

x1 Alpine CDA-105 Head unit.

x1 TMA 500w amp.

x1 Rockford Fosgate 4G amp kit.

x1 Custom s-10 box.

Now, what I would like to upgrade to:

x1 Audioque HDC3(I dont know if I should do a 12", or a 15"?)

Same door speakers.

Same head unit

x1 Audioque AQ1200D amp

x1 4G Rockford Fosgate Wiring?????? (Is this big enough?)

NO IDEA ON BOX? (Should I attempt to build one myself? or just buy one?)

This is Just an Idea, any comments or advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Luke

seems good to me. why leave the doors and and HU if your gonna switch everything else?

as for the box, build your own or have someone build one for you. you'll never meet the full potential of your subs if you don't have a box designed for them. I recommend RAM_Designs for the blueprints, then get to work

Build a box for the 12, tune it to like 33, get a small amp for your door speakers if you really want them to sound their best, like harshy said a sub is only as good as its box. RAM is full of win on boxes too.

I say get 60x4 4 channel amp for the doors, the aq 1200 is win. MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR BIG THREE BEFORE ANY OF THIS.

You should run 1/0 to the back and get a better battery or a second battery for the trunk. I REPEAT DO NOT PUT THE AQ 1200 in without ELECTRICAL UP GRADES.

The AQ 1200D isn't a current hog by any means. You should be alright with stock electrical, but I'd look into a bigger battery up front if you are having lots of voltage drop. Also as stated, the Big 3 usually does the trick too. The HDC3 will want more power than the AQ 1200D, the sub will move but it'll have a lot more potential.

I am new to the audio hobby, I am not familiar with much but I am trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks to everyone for sharing their advice and knowledge. I also forgot to share I am putting them in a 2000 Chevrolet s-10, the alternator went bad and I just had it and my battery replaced. My bad for the retarded questions.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif I am definitely going to build the box myself.

Should I change the kenwood door speakers? I always thought they did just fine, also the alpine HU?

[tune it to like 33] 33?

Any small amp recommendations?

[MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR BIG THREE BEFORE ANY OF THIS.] No idea what this is? Could someone please explain.

[You should run 1/0 to the back and get a better battery or a second battery for the trunk. ]

I assume 1/0 Ground and amp wire? Also it is an extended cab truck, I dont know where I could squeeze in a second battery.

[i'd look into a bigger battery up front if you are having lots of voltage drop.]

Recommendations?

[The HDC3 will want more power than the AQ 1200D, the sub will move but it'll have a lot more potential.] An AQ1200 wont supply enough power? Just wondering.

Thanks again, Luke

as for the box, build your own or have someone build one for you. you'll never meet the full potential of your subs if you don't have a box designed for them. I recommend RAM_Designs for the blueprints, then get to work
I cant find RAM_Designs. Is there a link?

Thanks

So I ordered the AQ1200 amp today. I am building a box soon, but am having trouble finding blueprints for it. Also Should I go with the HD 12 in, or the HD 15 in? I am kinda thinking I want the 15 but dont really know if it will hit the highs well or not. I bought and ran the 0 gauge wire today. I diddent know if it mattered, but I am building the box for an extended cab s-10 so I dont know if I need a custom box or anything.

Thanks

ram_designs is a person on this site, send him a pm, i believe he charges like 10bux he'll make you a blue print to build from. just tell him the space you need for the sub and to tune it to 33hz. 33hz is how much of a port area you need. the big 3, is upgrading the wiring from the alt to the batt and the ground so you can get the most out of your alt. do a search on here it'll tell you how to do it. this will help with dimming lights and low voltage throughout the vehicle. use your 0g wire for that. if you're happy with the door speakers you will for sure need an amp for it. that much sub in the back will drown out the door speakers. would be best to get a new set of components up front. as for 12 or 15 i can't help ya there, i'm into rock so i like my 10's or 12's. depends what you're looking for it to be. the HU i'd leave it alone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.