Questions about setting the gain w/multimeter.

Participant count
  • Participant list

de8212
10+ year member

georgia
I know setting them with a multimeter isn't the best way but I'm just looking for a starting point.

Here are my components and specs
Pioneer 4200nex head unit

Pioneer 9605 amp.
4 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan. + 350 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan. + 600 watts x 1 chan.

Morel Maximo Components up front (running off of front channels of 9605)
90 watts RMS

Morel Maximo Coaxials (rear channels of 9605)
80 watts RMS

Pioneer sub TS-SWX3002.
400 watts nominal

Gonna follow this guide unless someone knows a better method. Link

I'm guessing my front and rears are running at 4 ohms? My fronts have the crossover that came with the morels BTW.

So, if it's 4 ohms I would set the front channels at 17.3V.
Rears would be 17.3V
Sub channel would be 18.7V

Does that look right?
Would it matter that the front channels are driving 6.5's and tweeters?

And I have a Frequency Generator app I downloaded. Would that be ok to use? I see where it says to change HZ but nothing about 0dB level????

I do have a bass control knob that goes in between the head unit and the amp for the sub. Do I set it at Min/Max or somewhere in between.

When I am finished I assume I leave the crossover in the headunit at whatever the default is or do I need to adjust it as well?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.
I hope to have time sat or sun to do this so any tips or info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

do not use multimeter for door speakers. mainly subs BUT you need to analyze your music to see what kind of bass recording levels you are at to choose the proper test tone or else its inaccurate AF.

Tuning a system seems to be a lost art anymore. Multimeter on your highs?.. test tones?
Set your sub to your music and blend the system together... easy peasy
Loud/clean/clip... its knowing your equipment.

I've used both methods with the exception of o-scope, which is the best method, but the mentioned above works too. I used a 40Hz tone to set my sub gain, then used a small speaker and a song that I'm familiar with. Only thing about using a speaker for gain setting is you need a good ear and a song you know by heart w/o any distortion and sounds like ****.

You set the gain in accordinance with the rms of the speakers and sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.