Questions about rear deck subwoofer install

Participant count
  • Participant list

NexDeus
10+ year member

Hey all. I was just thinking about maybe trying to install a single 12" in the back of my 2002 grand prix. I have the tools to cut a new hole for it, ideally keeping my 6x9's in there as well. I've never attempted it before and am not finding a whole lot of information on the internet, though I do see that people do it. If I just cut a hole in the frame, bolt a sub down nice and tight and let her rip will it even really produce much sound or is it just a waste of time without a box? Thanks all!

Hmm. Guess I didnt consider that. What would the repercussion be of mounting it on thinner metal? I mean Im sure its strong enough to hold the weight of a single 12" (Not a competition monster, just a mainstream sub) as from the pictures I've seen the steel is pretty ribbed back there, lots of support or so it seems.

I should mention that I'm not afraid of welding or reforming the steel. Im a bit of a handyman, just not much on the ins and outs of car audio. Lets say it DOES fit. What Im trying to figure out is will it even produce much sound given the mounting location?

I did this years ago with an old cheap 10. Results were not great.

Later I discovered that it can be done, but you need a sub suited for infinite baffle (IB) installations.

It's not really something that's actively advertised, you have to know what specs to look for.

There's some good info here, especially post #6 .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.