Question about deep cycle compatibility...

Participant count
  • Participant list

bk12321
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I have been looking for a battery for a while, and have heard from multiple people that if you hook up a deep cycle battery to a regular starting battery, such as a stock one, that the deep cycle one wont be compatible. But.... people have told me that they have deep cycles hooked up in this way and they are fine.

My question is... how isnt it compatible??? Does it become like a regular battery instead of being deep cycle, or does it work like it was intended?

I need to know asap cuz im planning on buying one soon. Thanks in advance.

I have been looking for a battery for a while, and have heard from multiple people that if you hook up a deep cycle battery to a regular starting battery, such as a stock one, that the deep cycle one wont be compatible. But.... people have told me that they have deep cycles hooked up in this way and they are fine.
My question is... how isnt it compatible??? Does it become like a regular battery instead of being deep cycle, or does it work like it was intended?

I need to know asap cuz im planning on buying one soon. Thanks in advance.
It's fine.

With any multiple battery setup, voltage equalizes in the car's electrical (not quite as simple as this but this is the general idea). Since the alternator outputs higher than the batteries voltage for charging, nothing bad is going to happen.

I've heard the same stories about "battery compatibility" and whatnot...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

The deep cycling battery is probably going to last longer than the starting.

No the deep cycle battery wont last as long with a constant charge on it. It is made to be drained then recharged. Just use 2 starting batteries.
Every car battery is "made" to have a constant charge on it. A deep cycling battery will have more longevity than a starting battery with both shallow and large discharges...due to structure of the battery.

Every car battery is "made" to have a constant charge on it. A deep cycling battery will have more longevity than a starting battery with both shallow and large discharges...due to structure of the battery.
what exactly do you mean by shallow discharge? BTW where in carrolwood, i was born and raised right off lake magdalene.... fletcher and armenia

I'm about to pick up a second yellow top this weekend and put it under the hood. Just what I want to do thats all.

what exactly do you mean by shallow discharge? BTW where in carrolwood, i was born and raised right off lake magdalene.... fletcher and armenia
I'm referring to the state of charge of the battery. A shallow discharge is a discharge at a small % of the total discharge potential of the battery.

Not quite Carrolwood, I'm in Westchase right now, just moved 4 months ago. I was originally going to move to Carrolwood, but it was a little too far from work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.