• Start date
  • Replies 7
  • Views 2K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
&

<SLOguy>

I have a few questions for you guys

I just bought some focal component speakers. $300 for the pair, 75watt rms. is anyone famimliar with focal, are they as good as the shop said they are?

I also just got a Directed 600D amplifier.. paid 400 for that. is it as good as the JL 500/1. im thinkin of a PPI too.

Finally, i got a Sony Xplod 12" DVC sub. paid 110 for it. it's 400rms and 1100 peak. is that good? i list to a lot of Rock AND Rap. i want good SQ and SPL... im willing to pay up to 400 for a good speaker if what i have isnt very good. I have a 96 integra hatchback with a kenwood kdc-x715 deck.

whats a high quality (up to $550) amp that would be good for the components up front? (the focals)

Zane? anyone?

Let's see... Where to begin...

I am not familiar with focal so I will remain neutral about them. If you want a quality set of components you would want to go with "Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 or 6.1 components". I have also heard that MB Quart manufactures high quality components however I do not have first hand experience with MB Quart. Infinity components are very good though, mainly because of their high SQ as well as broad frequency range. So... I am just going to recommend those to you.

Sorry... I do not know about the amplifier. If it is 600 watts (educated guess from the 600 in Directed 600D) then you may have paid too much for it... I recommend the Rockford Fosgate Punch 800.2. I got mine for about 350 and it was tested at about 1,000 Watts. So far as I know JL amps are manufactures specifically for JL Audio subs but they also work well with other subs kinda like those women's deoderant commercials with the saying "Strong enough for a man but made for a woman". Hehe

Now... About the subs. From what I have heard (from other people) XPlod subs are not really mainstream. I would not recommend them. You said you wanted good SQ and SPL. 2 that I think would fit that description would be an Infinity Kappa Perfect Sub or a JL Audio W3 (Even though I dislike the JL company for reasons I'd rather not disclose
). You will get better SQ with the Infinity but the SPL might be a little better with the W3. I prefer the Infinity Kappa Perfect though since SPL has taken a step down to SQ nowadays. But... If I were you I would get rid of the XPlod. Just my opinion. You said you were willing to pay up to 400 for a good speaker... Well you get find 2 of the Infinities for under 400 on the internet. Try www.thezeb.com or www.justwoofers.com. I would recommend the first website though.

And lastly, you want a good am for the components. I recommend that you purchase a Rockford Fosgate Punch 200.4 for the components. I have one myself and I have not had any problems with it. So... I'll leave you with that, take it into consideration, and good luck to you.

Thanks for responding.

I have heard that RF is crapola for anything but bass. (their OLD stuff used to be sweet but their new stuff is crap supposedly) i had a 600a4 and it was ok, but im trying to get a cleaner sound up front.

I've heard lots of complaints about reliability issues with the kappa perfect subs. i was considering the eclipse aluminum 12"s but they have a distinct "metalic sound" to them.

But i will look into what you said, im far from new to this, but much much further from knowing everything about car audio. i thank you for you time

More input is appreciated.

I agree with you that the RF is not too good... but that is so far as their subwoofers are concerned. They do make very good amplifiers and many people use them. I also agree with you that the Perfects have some reliability issues but that is due to misuse or that they are just a dud. If you feed them clean power and break them in initially you oughta have no problem with them. 99.99% of the people that complain about the Perfects could be very happy people if they follows those two things and do not get a rare dud.

I have never heard Focal speakers with my own ears, but going by the reviews that I have read about them, they are excellent upper class speakers. I have never heard of Directed amps before. As for the explode, I hear a lot of complaints about them through this on-line message forum. As for the Kappa perfects, you are the only person that I know of who has heard anything bad about them. As for Rockford, I wouldn't say they're 'crapola' for anything but bass, but I wouldn't recommend them for anything other than bass. I had a punch 400.4 that was not very impressive as a mids and highs amp. Alpine makes excellent amps for mids and highs.

Well it's me again, i think i've made a decision. I think im going to get the Focal Utopia series components. But i need a CRYSTAL CLEAN amp to run to them @ 100 watts rms. What should i look for?

As for my amp, i think im gonna take back the DEI (directed) 600D and get the 1100D and match that to a couple of Subs. What would be a couple of good 12" subs that would be good to mate to the components up front? It's in a 96 integra hatchback. i may do a custom enclosure that could possibly have up to 2 cubic ft of space. i want SQ speakers that have punch AND boom. maybe the L7's?

(for anyone who is familiar, i liked the sound of RF XLC 12" in a 2 cubic ft ported box, i want it to sound like that but MUCH louder and more punchy)

alpine makes some great amps to run speakers. i am most likely going to run mines with an alpine. nakamichi also puts out some clean tunes as does orion. but never go out and buy an amp cuz someone suggests it, go out and listen to them urself before making any actual purchases.

If you can afford the Focal utopia components, then maybe the Focal Utopia subs would be a good match. The L7's wouldn't be a bad choice for what youre looking for either. For crystal clear high end amps, I have heard Mcintosh amps are incredible, although I have never heard one with my own ears. Alpine and Xtant also make great full range sound amps. Orion may be worth checking out too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.