Problem with 2 Sundown amps overheating...

Sorry to thread-jack, actlsub, but I believe my problem is mainly from the sun heating up my cab and also the lack of air circulating around the heat sink. They've never gone into protection or anything. My seat rests right up against the heat sink, so air flow is very minimal.
A warm amp isn't a problem if it's not protecting, so you are perfectly fine.

A Class A/B amp simply does produce a fair bit of heat, it's a matter of fact - the heatsink has a job to disperse heat to the air around the amp so it should be warm.

The 1000 when into thermal inside a garage, the 100.4 was very hot as well.
I can check my voltage but I think its fine. As for ground I believe its good, I guess I'll check that again.

Gain settings on both amps are only at about 25%.
A 1000D going into thermal at 2 ohms in a garage is not normal at all.

A 100.4 that is a bit warm is not a worry if it is not protecting, but since you say it is that is not normal inside a cool garage.

If this were outside on a very hot day that is not anything to worry about.

Where did you get these amps and how long have you had them ?

A 1000D going into thermal at 2 ohms in a garage is not normal at all.
A 100.4 that is a bit warm is not a worry if it is not protecting, but since you say it is that is not normal inside a cool garage.

If this were outside on a very hot day that is not anything to worry about.

Where did you get these amps and how long have you had them ?
I bought them brand new about a 2 weeks ago from db-r electronics.

Hmmmm. Certainly not normal behavior.
Check the grounds, measure the DC voltage while they are playing.
OK, I'll do that today.

I just want to reiterate that the 1000 went into thermal and the 100.4 was just as hot while neither amp was playing anything.

OK, I'll do that today.
I just want to reiterate that the 1000 went into thermal and the 100.4 was just as hot while neither amp was playing anything.
That is especially weird.

Both amps say "Tested" on them, correct ?

That means they were both wired up on a test bench here and played before shipment and did not exhibit any such behavior at the time.

That is especially weird.
Both amps say "Tested" on them, correct ?

That means they were both wired up on a test bench here and played before shipment and did not exhibit any such behavior at the time.
Yes both say tested. This is why I feel like I have something wired wrong or I did something incorrectly, but I can't think of anything. They play fine and sound normal before they overheat.

I love this sundown tech. support straight from the owner //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
YES!! that is awsome!! i soon will be get'n a sundown amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I love this sundown tech. support straight from the owner //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yes, that is why I bought these two amps, and now I'm glad I did.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.