Problem with 2 Sundown amps overheating...

actlsub
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
New York
I have a problem with both of my amps overheating. They will start to slowly overheat as soon as they are turned on (I don't even have to play anything on them) Both are Sundowns... a SAE1000D and a SAX100.4. I will call Sundown about this issue later but I doubt there amps are bad because what are the chances I get get two bad ones that are different models.

The SAE1000D is wired at 2ohms to an RE SE. The SAX100.4 is actively powering a set of Rainbow Profi Vanadiums. There are no chances that I have to low of an ohm load on either amp. The sub is dual 4 so it would be impossible to wire it too low, and the tweeters and mid all have there own channel.

As for wiring I have 0 gauge wire to a distro block, then 4 gauge to each amp. Ground wire for each amp is 4 gauge. 4 channel RCA's to the 100.4 and then RCA's from the output on the 100.4 to the 1000.

FWIW the amps work fine for about 20 minutes or so before they overheat. They will overheat every time no matter if I am actually using them or not. Once they are turned on by the remote wire they begin to slowly get hot.

Are there any obvious issues that I can check??

wow... i thawt sundown amps ran very cool?? even if there isnt much air flow...
well the sae1000d is a entry level amp so it doesn't have the extra cooling that the saz line of amps has machined into there heat sink so it needs some airflow. Also the 100.4 is a class ab amp which always run hotter than class d amps. and im not saying you need a fan mounted on them, but if you have the amps mounted under seats or inside a 100* trunk of coarse they are goign to get hot

My 100.2 runs incredibly hot. But I have 1/0 to a distro and then 4awg for both power and ground. Mine does the same thing, after a few songs its very very hot to the touch, I just figured it's because it is mounted to my cab, right behind the driver seat of my truck and no air gets back there.

My 100.2 runs incredibly hot. But I have 1/0 to a distro and then 4awg for both power and ground. Mine does the same thing, after a few songs its very very hot to the touch, I just figured it's because it is mounted to my cab, right behind the driver seat of my truck and no air gets back there.
see I have a 100.2 running at 2 ohm bridged ( dont tell jake lol ) and it doesnt even get warm to the touch.... but it is mounted in the trunk with the seats down and has plenty of airflow.

Where are they located in your vehicle? Is there a place for air to circulate around them?
They are located on the back of my rear seats in the trunk. They are open to the entire air in the trunk.

Do the amps go into thermal protection and shut off or do they just get really hot the whole time you are using them.
The 1000 went into thermal a couple of times, and then yesterday it did it again and i just cut the remote wire to both of them so I did not do any damage.

How hot is it outside ?
If it's almost 100 degrees as it is in most of the country, any amp is going to be VERY hot in a trunk.
It was hot yesterday when I finally decided to stop using them, but I the amps did the same thing when i installed them a few days ago when the car was inside a cool garage.

Sorry to thread-jack, actlsub, but I believe my problem is mainly from the sun heating up my cab and also the lack of air circulating around the heat sink. They've never gone into protection or anything. My seat rests right up against the heat sink, so air flow is very minimal.

It was hot yesterday when I finally decided to stop using them, but I the amps did the same thing when i installed them a few days ago when the car was inside a cool garage.
Both amps had thermal protect inside a cool garage ? Or were they just warm ?

Is your ground good ? Low voltage perhaps ?

How are the settings on the amps ?

Both amps had thermal protect inside a cool garage ? Or were they just warm ?
Is your ground good ? Low voltage perhaps ?

How are the settings on the amps ?
The 1000 when into thermal inside a garage, the 100.4 was very hot as well.

I can check my voltage but I think its fine. As for ground I believe its good, I guess I'll check that again.

Gain settings on both amps are only at about 25%.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.