Power Supply

• Thread starter rayRF
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 801
    Participant count
  • Participant list
well, i got a pheonix gold amp hooked up to my house stereo. the mosfets blew and while i was waiting on new parts, i just used a beefy 30v split power supply and bypassed the invertor section on the amp.. i burnt out my sony tower speakers with it, what a shame... anyways ur lookin at 50-100amp power supply at least!!! so start saving ur money!!, or use a car battery/battery charger combo to power it, but that wouldn't look good on ur entertainment center, now would it?

The first thing a car audio amp does is boost the +12V input to a higher value using a form of switching power supply. If you by pass this part of the amp then u can save a bit of money. First find out what the rail voltage is for the amp usally +- some voltage around 30-35 volts then find a power supply that has this type of output voltage or build one with a transformer recticfier and filter cap and then the amp will work off of 120V AC converted to the right levels. This is more of a project for someone who has a little back ground in electronics and has many of the needed parts kicking a round. Another plus off running the amp this way is that a cleaner and maybe even higher output power could be obtained if the right size of supply is used. A supply that is in the 20-40 amp range would probally be plenty. If your are going to hook up a 12V supply i would suggest buying a small battery charger and car battery and running the amp off of it because a 12V 50amp supply is going to run you a whole lot more money then a high quality home amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.