Power Protection, why?

calebheck

hello all!

I have a 1000 Watt Kenwood Mono channel amp (KAC-8104D)

my step brother let me borrow is two sub box and one kicker comp and I put my sony Xplod in the other side. I had no problems at all, they were just too dang loud.

He asked for them back so I decided to install my single Sony Xplod (1200W). I did not change the wiring set up what so ever.

The amp went into power protect mode and now I don't know what is wrong. I have even tested all the wires and hooked up nothing but the battery, ground and remote turn on, and it still goes into power protect.

My latest thought, possibly the amp is too powerful for a single sub? or the subs Ohm rating is too low?

IT XPLODED UR AMP!!!

But for real... if it's going into protection mode, your sub's impedance might be too low. Make sure that you wired the sub up properly.

thanks for the response!

it makes sense that the impedence might be too low, does that mean I should try running both subs again?

I still think that may not help, because the power protect light is on even with only the battery, ground and remote hooked up

thanks for any input!

For one, check and double check your ground. I had that amp before and it was absolutely the pickiest amp when it comes to a ground point that I have ever dealt with. In order to figure out the impedance thing, model numbers or voice coil configurations of both subs would be nice. All the Sony Xplod subs I've seen were single 4 ohm(not sure if they all are or not though). In the event that the Xplod is a single 4 ohm, and that was the only sub hooked up to the amp at the time, then low impedance was not your issue.

Also check the fuse near your battery to make sure it's not partially blown or something. What size power wire are you running. Forget about max power ratings, RMS is what matters, and even then, your equipment does not even do RMS power. The amp does a little over 400watts in my experience.

hello all!
I have a 1000 Watt Kenwood Mono channel amp (KAC-8104D)

my step brother let me borrow is two sub box and one kicker comp and I put my sony Xplod in the other side. I had no problems at all, they were just too dang loud.

He asked for them back so I decided to install my single Sony Xplod (1200W). I did not change the wiring set up what so ever.

The amp went into power protect mode and now I don't know what is wrong. I have even tested all the wires and hooked up nothing but the battery, ground and remote turn on, and it still goes into power protect.

My latest thought, possibly the amp is too powerful for a single sub? or the subs Ohm rating is too low?
OP is bring teh lulz in my house tonight. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

OP is bring teh lulz in my house tonight. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Yes, i was laughing lol,

Anyhow, as stated above i have only saw Single 4ohm Xplod's but ive never looked into them much, So what is yours and how do you have it wired?? Check grounds, although you said it was the same wiring that works before..

ok one thing to add

oh btw thanks so much to all of you that are helping me out!

ok so in my line from my battery to the amp, i blew the fuse being an idiot awhile back and i replaced it with one with a higher rating by 10 i believe. Do you think that could effect anything?

I would like to make one thing clear if it helps anyone.

everything worked when i was running the amp to two subs.

I uninstalled the subs from the amp, reinstalled the one sub then boom im stuck in power protect?

does that help any?

thanks!

ok one thing to add
oh btw thanks so much to all of you that are helping me out!

ok so in my line from my battery to the amp, i blew the fuse being an idiot awhile back and i replaced it with one with a higher rating by 10 i believe. Do you think that could effect anything?

I would like to make one thing clear if it helps anyone.

everything worked when i was running the amp to two subs.

I uninstalled the subs from the amp, reinstalled the one sub then boom im stuck in power protect?

does that help any?

thanks!
ok as for the fuse rating. your inline fuse should be no more or less than the total amperage ratings on the amp so if it has 4 30s 120 amp fuse no more no less. putting one in that is less wont damage anything but it will blow if the amp is performing the way it should. putting that 10 amp higher one in there will allow more power to go to the amp then it should have and that should blow the fuses on the amp, if that isnt working properly your amp will get fried.

sounds to me like you are running a lower impedence than the amp wants give us the model number of the amp and we can find out the lowest impedence it should go to then tell us how you have the sub wired.......but to fix future problems like blown xplod....get a good sub lol

the amp is a KAC-8104D

one interesting thing to note: with only power, ground, remote and RCA cables connected. I tested the power and ground terminals on the amp and it read 11.5 volts

the amp is a KAC-8104D
one interesting thing to note: with only power, ground, remote and RCA cables connected. I tested the power and ground terminals on the amp and it read 11.5 volts
wiring, battery, ground, alternator. all need to be checked. shouldnt drop that low. ever. your amp is 2 ohm stable at the least. what size wire are you using and where is the ground? also what battery. you should not have these problems with 500 rms. something is up here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.