More power

Participant count
  • Participant list

Terry Driver

CarAudio.com Newbie
I need to run 3 power and 3 grounds through the firewall for 1 amp. I was wondering if I have a 400 amp alternator and 2 batteries under the hood of my truck could I add a 3rd battery inside the truck and just run a power and ground to the 3rd battery and then run the 3 power and grounds off that battery to the amp to save on wire and the amount of holes I need to put in the firewall ?

The wire size is determined by the type of wire, the power used/needed and the length of the wire. Once that is established, you can't skimp because it's inconvenient.

What vehicle?
What amps?
Length of the runs?
Alternator output?
TYpes of batteries owned or that you're intending to use.

The wire size is determined by the type of wire, the power used/needed and the length of the wire. Once that is established, you can't skimp because it's inconvenient.

What vehicle?
What amps?
Length of the runs?
Alternator output?
2001 chevy silverado 4 door
400amp alternator
Batteries under the hood red top optima and planning on buying a xs power D3400
wire size OFC 0 gauge
Longest run of wire from front under hood battery to inside battery would be about 17'
jp63 3 250 amp fuse for that one.
Jp34ab 100 amp fuse
Jp234 120 amp fuse
And a jp84 60 amp fuse I would have a total of 3 batteries
I was planning on running the smaller amps from the batteries under the hood I was just trying to get away from running a total of about 12 wires through the firewall

What vehicle?
What amps?
Length of the runs?
Alternator output?

2001 chevy silverado 4 door
400amp alternator
Batteries under the hood red top optima and planning on buying a xs power D3400
wire size OFC 0 gauge
Longest run of wire from front under hood battery to inside battery would be about 17'
jp63 3 250 amp fuse for that one.
Jp34ab 100 amp fuse
Jp234 120 amp fuse
And a jp84 60 amp fuse I would have a total of 3 batteries
I was planning on running the smaller amps from the batteries under the hood I was just trying to get away from running a total of about 12 wires through the firewall
I'm thinking that dual 2 gauge from front to back. A large AGM under the hood. as for the rear, the Glow Voltage Series 3 will give you about 640 amps of power. You may need something even bigger than that,not sure. hit up the Glow Voltage FB page, they may be able to tell you if their product will work. Otherwise, Something like this should suffice.

Better to run dual 2/0 from front to rear, then 4 gauge to the amps or a combination of 1/0 and 4 gauge. Fewer batteries, less wire, run everything off the lithium bank, use distribution blocks for power and ground.

One of these for the dual +/- ( this is what i'm running 4 amps off of)

50 feet of red

50 ft of black

Leaves some over to wire up the big amp.

2/0 to 1/0 reducers

Parallel grounding

https://www.bestcaraudio.com/car-audio-myths-you-cant-ground-a-car-audio-amplifier-to-the-battery/

Last edited:
I'm thinking that dual 2 gauge from front to back. A large AGM under the hood. as for the rear, the Glow Voltage Series 3 will give you about 640 amps of power. You may need something even bigger than that,not sure. hit up the Glow Voltage FB page, they may be able to tell you if their product will work. Otherwise, Something like this should suffice.

Better to run dual 2/0 ought than 4 gauge to the amps or a combination of 1/0 and 4 gauge. Fewer batteries, less wire, run everything off the lithium bank, use distribution blocks for power and ground.

One of these for the dual +/- ( this is what i'm running 4 amps off of)

50 feet of red

50 ft of black

Leaves some over to wire up the big amp.

2/0 to 1/0 reducers

Parallel grounding

https://www.bestcaraudio.com/car-audio-myths-you-cant-ground-a-car-audio-amplifier-to-the-battery/
Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your help.
Run the biggest AGM you can under the hood, the parallel runs to one of these - should be everything you need and then some.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...