Ported Box Polyfill Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list
I’ve learned that turning down customers isn’t always a bad thing. It all comes down to how much you want to work and how much overhead you want to have. I know a lot of people who own their own business and they turn down work all the time. They live very comfortably without sacrificing a personal life.

I’ve learned that turning down customers isn’t always a bad thing. It all comes down to how much you want to work and how much overhead you want to have. I know a lot of people who own their own business and they turn down work all the time. They live very comfortably without sacrificing a personal life.

Sometimes you have to for self-preservation. People are just people, can only handle and control so much. I usually only turn someone down if the box is just going to be awful not having enough space. That's usually the only reason I won't do a design.

hire someone to help
When is the last time you tried that?

As to OP, my experience with batting in subwoofer boxes is that it will generally make the shape of your response curve as though the box were larger but you will slightly lose overall output over having it in the larger box. That said, I have never attempted to use it in a ported box but would expect after the couple hundred watts power level you may wind up with some issues having bits of fluff spitting out of the port.

That said, the difference between 20% more or less box volume than "recommended" shouldn't be a deal breaker. The difference may well be inaudible.

If you're considering polyfill because your box doesn't sound right: save your time and just get a proper box made that works. Just skip all of the pain, rip the bandaid off, get a new box. I've never used polyfill in anything. No sub enclosure, ever. Polyfill only makes sense, to me, in some SQ situations or situations where you have a woofer playing up into the midrange in a ported box, so you use the polyfill to dampen the midrange reverbs, that way they don't also come out of the port, and scatter and sound crazy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...