Please help with coosing a new sub

awgg08

Hi guys I have been researching for a month about every company and type of 12" sub there is in my price range and I am lost. I have a 2008 toyota tacoma access cab with limited space. I want something that has good SQ but also SPl. It will be a daily driver sub no competition. I have found the Audioque HDC312 copper coil sub to be in my price range and good quality but am open to other input. What impedence would I want to get the sub in, what ohm would i want to run, what size sealed box, and also what amp could i run to keep cost down but keep the quality good. I am trying to get the bas i had from two cheap bestbuy kenwoods with a 1200 watt amp in high school but much better SQ.

Thanks in advance guys I can use all the help your willing to give i pretty much know nothing and am pretty frustrated with all this new info.

its awesome that your asking and have such an open mind. i would look into the HDC3 like you said for sure, and also maybe a Fi Q, eclipse Ti(awesome sound quality and gets loud), or a dc Lv3. another would be the SSA dcons or the skar subs.

If you're looking into getting a single sub, and since you're looking at the HDC3, I figure you're looking at 1000 watt subs. But if you want a sealed box and good SQ but still hits well, look into the Fi Q or sundown subs like said above. For amps, I would look into something like audioque but if you want cheap but ok amps, look into audiopipe or hifonic amps.

audioque subs wont be great sealed, i emailed them when i first started and they said dont even bother.

u want a sub that will do good sealed.

here is a 12 that is rated for 1000 watts that will sound Amazing and get loud

DIYCable.com : Intro » Home » Exodus Subwoofers »

here is same thing but 15"

DIYCable.com : Intro » Home » Exodus Subwoofers »

if u want a 10" look at the Fi Q, wont sound as good, but will sound nice and get loud

if u want something with a little less power, this will sound really good sealed, only needs 400-500 watts for the 12, and is really good price

Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm | Parts-Express.com

10" same as above is 350-400 watts rms

Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm | Parts-Express.com

i like my Audioque 1200D, very good amp for multiple setups, can power all the subs i listed above, 510 watts@4ohms 900@2ohms 1200@1ohm, $250 new

thanks for all the input i now have more sub options to think about thanks!haha im looking at the Fi Q(would this sound good in a bigger sealed box?) or the HDC312 because they seem like they are better quality than some of the others(not going to lie they look nicer to..the others look like ****** paper or something??) So if i was to go with the Audioque and wanted bass that can handle anything from speedmetal to rap would a ported box be what i want? I thought it was only the sealed boxes that kept punchy clean bass? AS for SKAR=DBEEZ..how do you know the HDC312 is not good quality have you owned one or tested them?

mclerico83 nailed it. SSA ICON FTW!!! Great SQ woofer that will be incrediably loud also. Works perfect in sealed AND ported applications (2.2 @ 32hz would be perfect). Even if you only have 500wrms it will still shine. Forget the audioque if your looking for SQ. It is geared more for SPL.

I'd also reccomend an SA-12.

you guys think the ICON even if im trying to get something that can get really F***ing loud? i had two twelves that moved alot of air in my blazer before i got this truck will it compare? I said i wanted a sealed enclosure because i want clean bass but i also want the deep loud bass and i have pretty limited space so what kind of box would be the most efficient?

This is kind of the setup i am thinking and i would need someone to help me figure out the dimensions for the box..

AQ-HDC312 coppercoil(dont know what impedence) and the hifonics HFI1500D

Last edited by a moderator:
AQ isnt sq, just so u know. it will get loud, its a great sub for the $, its just not at all sq oriented. it should sound average for a daily setup.

the icon will sound a ton better, and u probably wont notice a difference in output

The AQ is not for SQ at all. Yes i have heard one and it wasnt that great. And the AQ's softparts are sh1t(yes i know im beating the dead horse for everyone out there who knew i was going to say that). They are just not well made and for the price you can do much better. And the AQ's want alot of space

Ok so then with the icon being less watts it will still get as loud? What amp would match up with the icon?(i just looked at ssa website would there be a big difference for me with daily driving between the ICON and EXCON? As far as sealed boxes go what direction would i want the sub be firing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.