please help!! keep frying subs!

how hard do your subs hit when they blow? use google and do some research, there's information ALL over the internet.

do yourself, and everyone else a favor and have a shop set the gain for you and DO NOT touch them. dont max them out then go complain to the shop that it wasnt loud enough, and tell them they blew your ****. theres a reason why people dont want to help you

i might sound like a **** but you need to help yourself before you expect others to spend time helping you.

how hard do your subs hit when they blow? use google and do some research, there's information ALL over the internet.
do yourself, and everyone else a favor and have a shop set the gain for you and DO NOT touch them. dont max them out then go complain to the shop that it wasnt loud enough, and tell them they blew your ****. theres a reason why people dont want to help you

i might sound like a **** but you need to help yourself before you expect others to spend time helping you.
Not nearly as hard as you..

i fried a pioneer 300w RMS sub again today. in like 10 minutes with a kenwood 1000w amp.
If you do what I said you will be fine. If it's not loud enough get a better sub and more powerful amp. Those woofers aren't too great and that amp only does about 500 rms. I think you just want more output than the woofer can get you

"until you understand what is going on. i suggest you take your system to a local shop for them to set the gains for you. "

This^ And whatever else needs doing. You aren't saving money by doing it yourself if your going through that many subs. Also, wrong section.

To better understand why your subs are blowing you need to know about what your gain knob is doing and how clipping hurts your equipment.

First, this is what a good sound wave looks like:

3bn0IV2.png

And this is what a clipped sound wave looks like:

xfCFHBM.png

Clipping is what is likely killing your subs. Not getting into too much detail, basically your sub makes sound by moving the cone based on the sound wave. When you're sending your sub hundreds of watts you can imagine the voice coil will heat up. The sub cools itself as it plays by moving air around the voice coil. But in a clipped wave, the sub is being sent a lot of power but is just sitting still. So how do we prevent this?

Start by eliminating anything that could be boosting your music. An EQ on your phone or headunit, bass boost gain on your amp, anything like that.

Next, you need to tune your amp using the proper settings. Since the headunit is a source for potential clipping you need to check that as well. Most cheap headunits will begin to clip their output before you reach max volume. If your headunit goes up to 35, try using it at 28 or 30. If it goes up to 60+, try it at 50 or 55. Once clipping is introduced into the signal, there's no way to get rid of it.

It's difficult setting your amp gain properly without the right equipment. But for you I would say don't go much over 1/2 of your gain. Gain is not a volume knob, it's a way of matching the amp to what your headunit is putting out for a signal. You can always have the gain a little too low and be on the safe side. If you set the gain too high, your amp will clip the sound wave really, really badly. Set your low pass filter somewhere around 60-80hz and set your subsonic to 30hz. Those should be relatively safe starting points.

Finally, if you keep feeling a temptation to turn your amp gain up just a little bit, or turn the volume on your headunit up a few more clicks, you should consider stepping up your system a bit. It's better to overbuild and have headroom than to push your system beyond its limits.

yea im wiring them up right. but i have super skinny wires. im going to a thicker gauge today.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

ok lol. gunna figure all this out today hopefully.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.