OVER CURRENT indicator on my amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

affeking

Quite suddenly today my sub cut off. Upon investigating, I found that the "over current" light had come on on the amp. First thing I did was check the cables for anything loose, disconnected, or anything touching that shouldn't. None were the case. I looked it up in my rather skimpy amp manual and the troubleshooting section explained that this was caused by a short circuit - its advice was to check the speaker wires for a short. Well, all of that was fine. I've noticed that when the stereo is turned off and back on, the sub works again. In fact, it sounds perfectly normal when played at medium volumes. Furthermore, the cone does not appear torn in any way. Its just that when I turn it up to my normal/loud listening volume, it cuts out with the over current light showing up. This always goes away when turning off/on the stereo.

As I was not playing the stereo any louder than usual when this occured (which, by the way, is far from what should be the limits of this sub/amp), and the fact that the sub looks and sounds fine at lower volumes, I am hesitant to think I've blown the sub. Of course, I've got very little clue about this, and any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

First of all, you should check the output voltage of your deck compared to the amps input sensitivity. Some amps can't take a huge input voltage that newer decks provide...one way to fix that problem is to turn down the gains. Regardless of what your amp manual says, an over current light usually means that there is an input overload. Which will cause your amp to heat up and thermal protection will shut it down.

Larry:cool:

What impedence are your subs, and how do you have them wired ? Also what kind of amp ? Sounds to me like the load you are showing the amplifier is to low for it. Let me know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.