Ordering Two '06 L7's Tomorrow, Need some advice on ported

JakeM
10+ year member

Houston
Ok, I got all excited and decided to blow my paycheck on two L7's 15" for the back of my truck. I have an 89 GMC Sierra. Anyway the backseat is coming out so space is almost no problem at all. I dont have any experience at all with ported boxes but have made a few sealed for my truck. Well I would like to get these two beasts into a big ported box before next friday(im leaving on vacation then going to the Texas Heatwave that next weekend) So I would like to have these things in and ready to rock by the time I leave. Should I just stay sealed or go ahead and say to hell with it and make my first ported box? I will be completely underpowering them with a Clarion DPX 1000.2 with only around 500w going to each sub. I will fix that when I get back from vacation but now I cant afford another amp. If you suggest ported then please post a few links to get me headed in the right direction. Sealed? How big should it be?

I was reading all the stickies and thought about this...http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?image=35cubes35hz54sqin9ij.png Would that do for my application? (Buiding a box for each sub?)

well I was just looking at that and no, but if someone would be kind enough to point me to a diagram of one taller and not so wide, I would greatly appreciate it

Put them in the biggest possible box you can put behind your seats and have at least 100in of port area. at least 4.5 feet NET each on those. You will get very loud off just the 1000watts with a large box. They love big boxes and higher than "average" tuning. Aim for about 36hz. A small box, or a sealed box, would jsut be a waste of those potent subs.

A diagram? Measure your truck and gofrom there. I had to take my seats and console out to get my box in. I could probably fit abut 11ft NET behind my seats if i didnt have my plexi amp rack on front. Each of those in 6ft would be very loud even with your 1000w.

lol well i have plenty of room i roughly measured 60x20x25 that I can use. Plus more if need be. If someone would be kind enough to punch in some of those numbers in BBP or similar, you do not know how much I would appreciate it. So most people aggree to have at the very least 4cuft for each of them? If someone knows of a detailed but easy to read tut on porting stuff, please post it up

I have a 12" Piece of PVC that i can make into a flared aeroport. I have it figured if you have the box 13ft. Net and we tune to 34hz to keep them sounding *decent* I would have to make the 12" aeroport 11" long. That is 144 square inches of port seems like ive heard 12inches per square foot and 13 times 12 is close enough were 12 short but its a flared 12 aero. Havent you seen what is happening? We went from 2" ports in MTX and prefab boxes to 4" pvc to 4 and 6" aeroports, notcing that for some reason one 6" aero outperformed two 4" aeros - In all tests the 6" port seemmed to also blend better with the front stage than the two 4". Aeros are becoming popular. So if one 6" beats two 4" why the hell not use my 12" aerooport that is 144 square inches the perfect size for your box

I think first you should go to www.Thecaraudiobox.com and watch the videos as well as the 15 L7 Videos on www.realmofexcursion.com. What this does is makes sure you see how important it is to buildthe right box and look at what these guys are doing with there setups. Then go to the JL audio tutorial on building boxes, and download WIN ISD they have a new version it is free and works great. Then figure out what you need for your ports. Then search for enclosure design, subwoofer box building. Next research loudspeaker design.

In Win ISD the 13ft box tuned to 34hz on 1000W with two 15L7's hit 7-9db louder than a 12ft sealed box with two 15L7's on 1000w. The port velocity on the 12"aero is low enough that the box will have no audible port noise.

two of these (~5ft^3 @ 32Hz, just make the port shorter for higher tuning aka more spl):

5cubes32hz62sqin6hk.png

I have a 12" Piece of PVC that i can make into a flared aeroport. I have it figured if you have the box 13ft. Net and we tune to 34hz to keep them sounding *decent* I would have to make the 12" aeroport 11" long. That is 144 square inches of port seems like ive heard 12inches per square foot and 13 times 12 is close enough were 12 short but its a flared 12 aero. Havent you seen what is happening? We went from 2" ports in MTX and prefab boxes to 4" pvc to 4 and 6" aeroports, notcing that for some reason one 6" aero outperformed two 4" aeros - In all tests the 6" port seemmed to also blend better with the front stage than the two 4". Aeros are becoming popular. So if one 6" beats two 4" why the hell not use my 12" aerooport that is 144 square inches the perfect size for your box
what would be a good size aeroport for 1 06 l7 15 in a 5.6 cuft box 1 6" or 2 6" or 4 4" looking for tuning around 34hz

i just did a build for a single 06S12L74d in a 3.093cuft tuned to 33.47 on the sub and dual port of 4" X 7.18 X 39.77. the enclosure wangs so focking hard the owner could not belive it. he wanted two of them but he lacks the space. so i was if you go for a single it will be louder and hit lower. so we did it and the thing just rocks harder then his prior dual 06S12L74d 4 cuft sealed with the same amp.

but any ways from the measured 60x20x25 after mdf displacement you have about 14.7cuft of in thernal volume. that with a single port at 4" x 18" x L20" its like -.989 cu ft of displacement. itll leave you with about 13.5cuft for the subs after port and sub displacement wich is big enogh for both subs to be plenty happy. tuned at 22.78Hz F0=28.5Hz F3=22.8 this number will be so that the subs can hit as low as they can and still be loud as hell and no port noise.

just me two cents.

laters

thanks so much guys, i hope to build this box on saturday. could you guys please post more suggestions? I know yall have done so much already but I want a few different choices for this. Thanks again. Any more advice will be appreciated

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.