Lookin for a router.

lil azn 06
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hi,

To start off, yes i ran through the search engine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif and while i did find a particular thread it was not detailed enough.

Im in need of a router, a decent one, but i really dont know crap about routers, so to start, what is a fixed base?

I really have no idea what kind of router to get, but i would like it at the max $150. This kind of throws Dewalt out of the mix...

I came about this

Craftsmans

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00917533000&subcat=Routers+%26+Laminate+Trimmers

Craftsmans

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00917528000&subcat=Routers+%26+Laminate+Trimmers

Home Depots

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1877495105.1141795148@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccefaddhekfjejfcgelceffdfgidgio.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&N=2984+4033+2970&keyword=router&MID=9876&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&y=0&x=0

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

plunge routers go up and down, hence the plunging name

fixed base routers don't, they are fixed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

also check out ryobi, i swear by the name, i use their circular saw, jig saw, and pretty much thier whole line. Heres a pic and a description of the best one they have can be gotten at homedepot for 99 bucks ! not a bad deal at all!

• Electronic speed control module senses the load applied to the motor and adjusts voltage to maintain desired rpm• Ergonomically-designed handles provide comfort when operating from different angles and positions• Soft start reduces wear and provides smoother use• Chip shield protects you against flying debris• Spindle lock for simple 1-wrench bit changes• Includes 1/2 In. collet, 1/4 In. adapter and wrench

What all do you intend to do with said router ? I would suggest either a combo with the fixed and plunge base. Or a plunge router. Versatility FTW //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

also check out ryobi, i swear by the name, i use their circular saw, jig saw, and pretty much thier whole line. Heres a pic and a description of the best one they have can be gotten at homedepot for 99 bucks ! not a bad deal at all!

• Electronic speed control module senses the load applied to the motor and adjusts voltage to maintain desired rpm• Ergonomically-designed handles provide comfort when operating from different angles and positions• Soft start reduces wear and provides smoother use• Chip shield protects you against flying debris• Spindle lock for simple 1-wrench bit changes• Includes 1/2 In. collet, 1/4 In. adapter and wrench
Agreed, I got the same one from HD on sale for 79 bucks or something like that. Works great for my uses.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I bought a router and a japser jig but I still get better results on the inner circle with a jig saw. The little pin hits the base of the router, causing it to wiggle, causing the circle to look like ass. Another alternative is an orbital jigsaw. Spend the $150+ because they are worth it.

Ok im seriously about to buy a router now and need help. I was about to buy the ryobi seeing how its nicely priced $99 at home depot pictured above. Only thing is that its a plunge router and i still dont know if a plunge router is better or not. Any suggestions? Lastly, my dad bought a rotoaryzip thingy and i was wondering if that would be as good as a router, if so there aint no point in buying a router.

Any other router suggestions under $100 would be nice. Thanks

Do it man . A plunge router is a plus . You can use it just like a fixed base as most have depth adjustments and lock collars. Plus you can make plunge cuts, that a fixed base can't . My vote goes to plunge hands down //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

oops missed the part about the rotoslip . I personally hate them , cutting mdf with a rotoslip takes for ever . //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i've had success with rotozip's for circles, but I wouldn't want to do many, hearing protections is a must.

Get a Jasper Jig and a router that fits onto it. I have a plunge router from harbor freight for flush cutting, etc, and permanently fixed palm router to the Jasper Jig for speaker holes.

I made a pin out of a thick solid core wire and bent it at 90degrees so it doesn't fall out of the jig.

i've had success with rotozip's for circles, but I wouldn't want to do many, hearing protections is a must.
Get a Jasper Jig and a router that fits onto it. I have a plunge router from harbor freight for flush cutting, etc, and permanently fixed palm router to the Jasper Jig for speaker holes.

I made a pin out of a thick solid core wire and bent it at 90degrees so it doesn't fall out of the jig.
Did your pin come out ? The two jaspers I have, the d@mn pin is so tight it requires channel locks to pull it out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.