opinions on my plan

azimuth
5,000+ posts

funded*by*soros
Denver, Co
thinking about doing a small sub system in the 3rd door of my extended cab s10. mother in law borrowed my camera, so this is the only pic i have.

s10.jpg

there is a storage compartment in that rear door. my thought is: remove the storage compartment, and fiberglass an enclosure in it's place. either a single sealed 8, or a ported 6.5 (before any of you comment on the 6.5. there are 6.5 inch subs that play low enough for a sub system). i can get approx. (.5) cubes, give or take a little, and not get much larger than the compartment currently is. of course, sound deadening the sh!t out of that door will be done. the sub is where i could use a little advice. i really like the tang band 6.5 inch sub, but 50 watts rms is a little small. if i go with an 8, i'll use a dayton.

so, either this 6.5, ported at around 38 hz. i'd like references to 6.5's that handle more power. this one gets loud on low watts (used them in bookshelf speakers, but not as car subs), but the amps i currently have are overkill in a major way for this tang band 6.5.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-832

or, 1 of these 2 8's, sealed in around .6 cubes.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-456

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-855

i'm also playing with the idea of using a focal polyglass 11 inch sub. they can be put in to very small enclosures. i'm finding it very challenging, and kinda fun to build small systems, and get as much as possible from it. people get twiterpated when they hear my system and find afterwards that it's 2 8's. might need a little help on the glass work later. probably take a few weeks to plan, before i start cutting up my door panel.

alot of work for some small subs. I have seen enclosures that replace the rear fold down seat that would allow you to run a 10 or 12 instead. Why not just put a regular box behind the seats? Do you actually use the rear space for anything?

alot of work for some small subs. I have seen enclosures that replace the rear fold down seat that would allow you to run a 10 or 12 instead. Why not just put a regular box behind the seats? Do you actually use the rear space for anything?
already done a 15, (2) 12's, a single 12, a 10, and (2) 8's. getting bored a little. and i want the jumper seat. my wife, daughter, and myself ride in it, and it's getting hard to have all 3 of us in the front.

I haven't seen this done before, but it sounds like a decent idea. Personally I'd go with something a lot better than a Dayton sub though.
dayton subs seem to be really nice. might do a focal though.

I haven't seen this done before, but it sounds like a decent idea. Personally I'd go with something a lot better than a Dayton sub though.
FYI.... there is nothing wrong with the Dayton sub:D The DIY crowd has been using them for SQ installs for quite a few years now!

FYI.... there is nothing wrong with the Dayton sub:D The DIY crowd has been using them for SQ installs for quite a few years now!
i built speakers from the cheap dayton shielded 10's off parts express, and they outperform our 15 inch sony tower speakers. i'm sure their upper end lines are superior to the cheaper stuff they make. really impressed with tang band as well. at least in home audio applications.

i'm not stuck on dayton. considering a focal polyglass. i did a system with the 13. went in a 1.25 cube box tuned to 34hz. thinking of doing a focal 11.

I've never heard of anyone using Dayton in car audio, I buy lots of stuff from parts express so I know about the company and the line of Dayton speakers. I've heard of people running them in speakers for home audio, but never with car audio.

Then you dont read around here much...

i dont know i didnt really read the post. i just happened to be looking at them and saw this thread and see he mentioned wanting a 6.5
it's me that wants to do it. i'm flexible up or down some in space. i thought maybe you'd done one.

it's me that wants to do it. i'm flexible up or down some in space. i thought maybe you'd done one.
oh. well no i havent tried it, but i have heard them before. they get **** loud. you could do two sealed also and still be very happy. you should think about it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.