One 12" to fufill my needs

[quote name='Jeffdachef']
unless its the old 3 inch coil power acoustik, the new ones cant handle 600 watts clamped. @gotgixers did a test and it failed miserably. Horrible sub that should not be recommended at any time lol. Horrible SQ as well .Yes i've heard them live, some of the worst sounding subs out there.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming mine's the new one because it has the 2.5" coil. I must have gotten lucky, or maybe my ears are blown from sitting in front of the trumpets in HS and college band for 9 years.

I just listed that song as its new to me and I can't get it out of my head right now and I love the bassline.
I listed "rap" first, as some of my favorites are bone thugs (thuggish ruggish bone can sound/feel great), notorious big, snoop's doggystyle album, etc... That's why I said 'middle' or 'low'.
Thats middle and high all of those. none of them reach low at all. All the old school hip hop mainly 40hz and up. The new school rap sometimes play down to 30hz rarely do you see anything dropping lower. again, starboy was 51hz. thuggish ruggish bone is even higher frequency. you arent playing anything deep or low. No sense in having a setup that emphasizes notes you dont even reach.

here's my personal dropbox link to 4 songs that can test your bass range and you can see what frequency is supposed to sound like (that is if your sub can even play the low ones at all)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h2hs8zq1384spq2/AABG_AhNt-ZNiST3GbE4zYFqa?dl=0

If you cant hear it, this is what the maroon 5 animals 25-34 version one looks like on a decent sound system

Thats middle and high all of those. none of them reach low at all. All the old school hip hop mainly 40hz and up. The new school rap sometimes play down to 30hz rarely do you see anything dropping lower. again, starboy was 51hz. thuggish ruggish bone is even higher frequency. you arent playing anything deep or low.
Ughh...

0-80Hz = Lower-Bass

80-150Hz = Mid-Bass

150-250Hz = Upper-Bass

?

Ughh...0-80Hz = Lower-Bass

80-150Hz = Mid-Bass

150-250Hz = Upper-Bass

?
uhm nope.

60hz and under is mainly sub bass.

under 30hz is deeper into the subsonic range.

20hz and under is when you are actually playing deep.

60hz and up is techinically midbass.

however i just broke it down to him in a way where it relates to musical listening habits and how a system is supposed to be setup because 80hz and up is mainly door speakers so anything above 80hz shouldnt even be in this conversation right now. I dont count 80hz and up performance in a sub stage. so the range a subwoofer takes care of is 10hz to 80hz

10-35 is on the deep rumbling end of the sound spectrum mainly modified music territory. 35 to 50 hz is the middle section wear dubstep, modern rap and edm falls into.. above 50hz is where rock, metal, classical, jazz falls into.

for his music, if you analayze it on audacity's spectrum analyzer, none of his stuff plays deep bass at all. 51hz, 54hz. Most of the subs nowadays are geared for 45hz and under unless you use a special 1/4 wave transmission line design to make the sub play an octave higher.

25Cle8.jpg

9Wl7Km.jpg

uhm nope.
60hz and under is mainly sub bass.

under 30hz is deeper into the subsonic range.

20hz and under is when you are actually playing deep.

60hz and up is techinically midbass.
I would think two 12s or one 15, even in a sealed box, would overpower a 2006 GTO unless that's the route slm9s was going for. My system is far from perfectly tuned, but I just got done listening to Starboy and that constant midbass was extremely overwhelming.

slm9s, what's the rest of your speaker system looking like? 2 fronts and 2 rears in cabin? Apologies if I missed something.

I would think two 12s or one 15, even in a sealed box, would overpower a 2006 GTO unless that's the route slm9s was going for. My system is far from perfectly tuned, but I just got done listening to Starboy and that constant midbass was extremely overwhelming.
slm9s, what's the rest of your speaker system looking like? 2 fronts and 2 rears in cabin? Apologies if I missed something.
something's lacking then in your front stage or box tuning if its overwhelming which is basically called peakiness. the inherent qualities of that sub along with a prefab will make it even more apparent. box can definitely be bigger tuned slightly lower with more port area to fix that.

[quote name='Jeffdachef']so yeah for your needs bud i'd say do some 12s sealed or a 15 sealed. you dont need strong lows with ported.
@Roland can tell you about these subs. they sound proper for your needs in 1 cubic feet sealed each.
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_65566_Pioneer-TS-W1200PRO.html[/QUOTE]

I really like that sub BUT only in a large box ported. I have two in my sons van both in 2.3 cubes ea, and another in my van 2.5 cubes tuned to 32hz. It models very strange but work well down to 28hz in my van. My son's are running 2 ohms off two channels from a 4 channel NVX JAD800.4, so about 250 watts (IIRC) and they sound great IMO. In 1 foot sealed I don't know if they'd go low enough.

I really like that sub BUT only in a large box ported. I have two in my sons van both in 2.3 cubes ea, and another in my van 2.5 cubes tuned to 32hz. It models very strange but work well down to 28hz in my van. My son's are running 2 ohms off two channels from a 4 channel NVX JAD800.4, so about 250 watts (IIRC) and they sound great IMO. In 1 foot sealed I don't know if they'd go low enough.
so far he only needs to reach 35hz tops from his music choice

I can't remember the model number, but I have upper level Infinity components in the front. That's it besides the subs.
Oh goodness, I didn't see the second link with your first message so I didn't even see your sub setup. That is crammed in there and I don't blame you for wanting some trunk space! Are those CVs DVC? Have you tried installing one of your CVs into a sealed box? Better yet, a ported box to or close to spec with the sub firing to the driver's side with port closest to the bumper? You might still have a gem on hand that just needs some tender loving box care to meet your goal.

something's lacking then in your front stage or box tuning if its overwhelming which is basically called peakiness. the inherent qualities of that sub along with a prefab will make it even more apparent. box can definitely be bigger tuned slightly lower with more port area to fix that.

Actually, I just introduced an 8" bandpass aside my ported 12 to fill in some non-existent bass I was having and haven't tuned it appropriately for lack of time, so my gains are set too high. Work gets in the way of the fun stuff sometimes.

Boy, I was all ready to buy that 12" CAB with that CAB amp and build that box. Now you guys have me wondering if I wouldn't be better off just buying a lesser 12" sub and put it in a sealed box with my current amp. Its listed as 750 watts at 2 ohms, but I assume its a little lower.

I'm not looking for 'makes it hard to breathe' bass, just some really nice clean bass that will still allow me to free up some trunk space.

No one ever answered whether the CAB amp would be fine with my stock battery and alternator???

Boy, I was all ready to buy that 12" CAB with that CAB amp and build that box. Now you guys have me wondering if I wouldn't be better off just buying a lesser 12" sub and put it in a sealed box with my current amp. Its listed as 750 watts at 2 ohms, but I assume its a little lower.
I'm not looking for 'makes it hard to breathe' bass, just some really nice clean bass that will still allow me to free up some trunk space.

No one ever answered whether the CAB amp would be fine with my stock battery and alternator???
will have to do the big 3 upgrade.

But yeah man just two 12s in a sealed or a single 15 in a sealed. It will be around half your current box size. Off your JBL amp, it should sound decent.

Heck, just buy a sealed box for your Cerwin vegas like I ORIGINALLY STATED IN THE OTHER THREAD YOU STARTED.... those cerwin vegas were not meant to be in ported.

80A alt will be fine if that's what you have. If you have a DMM, go test your battery and see if your alternator is still good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.