One 12" to fufill my needs

slm9s

WA state
Ok, 3 years ago I bought this OLD cerwin vega box:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/631719-anyone-recognize-box.html

I've come to realize its not that great. Its paired to a JBL 7001 amp and a Pioneer 3200 h/u. The amp can push 750 watts at 2 ohms.

I'm thinking I should build a custom box with ONE 12" sub to get much better sound and also regain part of my trunk. The current CV box is 34x17x13. I'm thinking a box something like 24x17x13 outside measurements with one 12 could maybe give me what I want? (loud, good, tight sounding bass) with 750 watts at 2ohm from my amp.

I can either keep the JBL 7001, or sell it and buy a more powerful amp like this or something similar - 1500 watts instead of 750...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4EZ64Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LLMZ9K72U9P2

Anyway, with my wants and space measurements, can someone please recommend a really nice 12" sub thats around $150-$250? I assume this space is too small for one 15"?

I have plenty of tools/table saw/etc to build my own box. Are there plans online/able to be purchased/etc?

The vehicle is a 2006 pontiac GTO that has the gas tank between the rear seat and trunk if that matters.

Ok, 3 years ago I bought this OLD cerwin vega box:http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/631719-anyone-recognize-box.html

I've come to realize its not that great. Its paired to a JBL 7001 amp and a Pioneer 3200 h/u. The amp can push 750 watts at 2 ohms.

I'm thinking I should build a custom box with ONE 12" sub to get much better sound and also regain part of my trunk. The current CV box is 34x17x13. I'm thinking a box something like 24x17x13 outside measurements with one 12 could maybe give me what I want? (loud, good, tight sounding bass) with 750 watts at 2ohm from my amp.

I can either keep the JBL 7001, or sell it and buy a more powerful amp like this or something similar - 1500 watts instead of 750...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4EZ64Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LLMZ9K72U9P2

Anyway, with my wants and space measurements, can someone please recommend a really nice 12" sub thats around $150-$250? I assume this space is too small for one 15"?

I have plenty of tools/table saw/etc to build my own box. Are there plans online/able to be purchased/etc?

The vehicle is a 2006 pontiac GTO that has the gas tank between the rear seat and trunk if that matters.
http://www.caraudiobargain.com/new-cab-ultra-12-12-750w-subwoofer/

http://www.caraudiobargain.com/new-cab-1600-1-amplifier/

that mbquart is closer to 1000 watts.

a proper box will look like this for a single 12. Your current ported box for two 12s is poorly designed and is strangling your subs and tuned too high. I'd do a single 15 sealed or two 12s sealed if you want to save space.

Space makes bass and ported requires A LOT of space.

DzkTns.jpg

So that amplifier and that subwoofer in a custom-built box with those dimensions should sound great? That's totally doable budget-wise. I just want to do it right this time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So that amplifier and that subwoofer in a custom-built box with those dimensions should sound great? That's totally doable budget-wise. I just want to do it right this time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
i'd get the apcl1500 before the mb quart,, that sub is NICE and that amp so u know weighs 30 pounds it's ain't no joke, i ordered 1 for friend..

yeah, we can adjust the height and save width room or add more width and save on depth. however you want. be warned it'll be on a completely different level than your CV subs in terms of output lol... pretty heavy too, might want to use sanded 11 layer plywood or baltic birch or arauco ply to save on weight. the sub says 750 watts rms but you can feed that whole CAB 1600.1 to the sub and it'll handle every last watt that amp can put out easily.

couple questions, what kind of music are you listening to? What kind of bass do you like hearing? rumbly deep low bass that shakes the crap out of your car (20-35hz)? middle ground bass which is the boom you hear in dubstep, hip hop, and edm(35-50hz) or punchy bass and kick drums usually found in classic rock /rock/metal 50-80hz?

I listen to a lot of rap/rock/top 40 stuff. I love a nice clean bassline that you can feel as well as hear. Like the bass in the weekend/starboy song.

So I guess 'middle' or 'low'?

couple questions, what kind of music are you listening to? What kind of bass do you like hearing? rumbly deep low bass that shakes the crap out of your car (20-35hz)? middle ground bass which is the boom you hear in dubstep, hip hop, and edm(35-50hz) or punchy bass and kick drums usually found in classic rock /rock/metal 50-80hz?
i like some of the higher end since i listen to old rock so should i tune higher or go sealed.. i finally found sweet spot for my test box, port on side sub firing into cabin but whats weird is it's better like 1ft behind back seat not all the way forward, it's tuned low but since i cut the port hole (not perfectly round) can't really be sure how low 29-33hz best guess.. sorry for the highjack..

Amazon's doing a deal on the PA Mofo-124x for $83 right now and I can attest to it being quite the banger even in my 1.87cu prefab. However, the higher lows are muddy which I've learned from someone on this site being related to my smaller than spec enclosure. Might be worth reading reviews on it. Also, If you ever want upgrade your amp and go even louder, the 124x would be able to handle the pain and shake your trunk apart if you're feeling cheeky. I'll take a listen to Starboy in a bit and see how the SQ sounds then get back to you if you're interested.

Don't ding me for throwing a Power Acoustik option out there, audiophiles //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

[quote name='slm9s']I listen to a lot of rap/rock/top 40 stuff. I love a nice clean bassline that you can feel as well as hear. Like the bass in the weekend/starboy song.
So I guess 'middle' or 'low'?[/QUOTE]

thats middle and upper. not even remotely close to low or deep. The bassline is at 51 hz

[quote name='fixinit']Amazon's doing a deal on the PA Mofo-124x for $83 right now and I can attest to it being quite the banger even in my 1.87cu prefab. However, the higher lows are muddy which I've learned from someone on this site being related to my smaller than spec enclosure. Might be worth reading reviews on it. Also, If you ever want upgrade your amp and go even louder, the 124x would be able to handle the pain and shake your trunk apart if you're feeling cheeky. I'll take a listen to Starboy in a bit and see how the SQ sounds then get back to you if you're interested.

Don't ding me for throwing a Power Acoustik option out there, audiophiles :)[/QUOTE]

unless its the old 3 inch coil power acoustik, the new ones cant handle 600 watts clamped. @gotgixers did a test and it failed miserably. Horrible sub that should not be recommended at any time lol. Horrible SQ as well .Yes i've heard them live, some of the worst sounding subs out there.

I listen to a lot of rap/rock/top 40 stuff. I love a nice clean bassline that you can feel as well as hear. Like the bass in the weekend/starboy song. So I guess 'middle' or 'low'?
I would suggest doing sealed boxes instead with two 12s in all honesty. Most of the subs nowadays are engineered for low frequency response and if starboy and top 40s is the type of bass you want, you need that upper range. Being sealed it'll still play rap just fine as well but you definitely need the upper frequency response when you start playing top 40s and rock.

I just listed that song as its new to me and I can't get it out of my head right now and I love the bassline.

I listed "rap" first, as some of my favorites are bone thugs (thuggish ruggish bone can sound/feel great), notorious big, snoop's doggystyle album, etc... That's why I said 'middle' or 'low'.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.