Old School Restoration Install Questions

16pankos

I am restoring a 1959 Chevy Apache and I want to put a sound system in it. I've only helped a few of my friends with previous installs, so i don't have much knowledge when it comes to technical terms. This could be a simple question but I don't know what type of deck(?) to get. there is no previous audio in my truck so I do not know what type of head unit i can get or how to wire/install it. Any ideas or parts i can get to help would be much appreciated!

Put the deck in the glove box or something but please dont cut a hole in the dash! You can pretty much wire it very simple because all youd need is to find your acc remote wire. Get whatever headunit calls your attention, but their is certain things you cam get with certain budgets.

I'm open to a modern deck in the dash, although i would rather not cut a hole in it. Every install that I've seen they use a wiring harness to hook up the old audio to the new head unit. I don't understand how i would do that without previous audio?

and if i were to put it in the glove box, how would i control the audio and volume? i was looking at budget of round $2500-3000. although i wanted most of my equipment to be JL audio.

They make control heads that look like the stock radio, but run a modern unit installed elsewhere...... Does your dash even have the factory cut outs for a AM radio in it?? Some of the old trucks didn't even have the cut outs....

I'm open to a modern deck in the dash. Every install that I've seen they use a wiring harness to hook up the old audio to the new head unit. I don't understand how i would do that without previous audio?and if i were to put it in the glove box, how would i control the audio and volume? i was looking at budget of round $2500-3000. although i wanted most of my equipment to be JL audio.
Because a harness makes life easy and it goes dorectly to factory power, ground, remote, memory, speakers, ect... I just did the same in my truck my factory harness was previously cut so i just ran my own batt, ground, and remote wires. Real easy. Should be just as easy. Jl products are good but theyre only worth half what they cost. So thats where you lose money.

No it does not have the factory cut outs. you can see the indent where it would be, but its just indented. i don't have any pictures right now but I could get some by tomorrow if it would help to have a look at it? I guess i could cut a hole where the am radio would be and put a modern unit there. My thoughts are that if I got a head unit that looked stock i wouldn't have very much control over my audio?

Because a harness makes life easy and it goes dorectly to factory power, ground, remote, memory, speakers, ect... I just did the same in my truck my factory harness was previously cut so i just ran my own batt, ground, and remote wires. Real easy. Should be just as easy. Jl products are good but theyre only worth half what they cost. So thats where you lose money.
I don't know much about brands and i just heard JL had good quality. what are some other good products?

No it does not have the factory cut outs. you can see the indent where it would be, but its just indented. i don't have any pictures right now but I could get some by tomorrow if it would help to have a look at it? I guess i could cut a hole where the am radio would be and put a modern unit there. My thoughts are that if I got a head unit that looked stock i wouldn't have very much control over my audio?
You can get one of those retro looking head units and then a processor to control your audio. Would gice you the best sound and control anyways. Jbls ms8 or audison bit, alpine pxa, rockford 3.sixty just to name a few

You can get one of those retro looking head units and then a processor to control your audio. Would gice you the best sound and control anyways. Jbls ms8 or audison bit, alpine pxa, rockford 3.sixty just to name a few
How did you have room for subs in the truck in the picture there? I think I'm going to run into that problem because my fuel tank is right behind the seats. I was looking into moving the fuel tank into the rear of the truck but that would run me around about another $1000. would i be forced to get shallow mount subs?

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

And what is the rebuild theme, stock, or resto-mod ??
resto-mod

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/615120-l-wedge-singlecab-box.html

This is how. No bench, buckets, no center console. Shallow mounts are pretty much the only option for singlecabs with a bench seat. Or else your sub will mess up quick because itll be hitting the back. People do it all the time but its just not the right thing to do. Or 2 8" wubwoofers but with singlecabs its hard. Sure you can throw anything back there and xall it a day like everyone does but as i said its not proper

I usually remove the fuel tank from the cab in most resto-mods ....it is safer, AND gives room for the BOOM-BOOM ....

And if you are going all out resto-mod. Look into some modern heated/electric/memory buckets on custom made rails. And then do a custom center console with a good high quality 12" sub in it, and mount the amp/s on the rear cab wall .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.