battery isolated and second battery

Participant count
  • Participant list

mojoies
10+ year member

Hi I want to know how big of a isolator and second battery I need. I plan on running about 2000w of sounds and 4 headrest monitors and maybe a couple fans. Was looking at a pac 200 isolator and a batcap 800 or kinetik 1400 or 2000 for battery

Hi I want to know how big of a isolator and second battery I need. I plan on running about 2000w of sounds and 4 headrest monitors and maybe a couple fans. Was looking at a pac 200 isolator and a batcap 800 or kinetik 1400 or 2000 for battery
The PAC 200 is a 200A isolator and should be plenty large enough to handle 2kw. The second battery will beef up your reserve but you should really be looking at the size of your alternator first. Under ideal conditions while the car is running your alternator supplies 100% of the power consumed by your amplifier, not your batteries.

If you plan on running the system with the car off then obviously the larger the second battery the more play time you get but you should definitely be looking at deep cycle batteries as they are designed to be drained and recharged, regular lead acid batteries are not.

Do you plan on using the audio with the car off?
Stop posting this on isolator questions, it has nothing to do with it's purpose. Two batteries of different models/types/sizes/ages/anything really should never be connected in parallel while resting. It will significantly shorten one or both their lives as they continually try to charge each other.

I've had very good results with yellow tops in the past but a lot of other users are reporting that Optima's quality has gone downhill in the past couple years so I'm not sure that's the best way to go. Other companies besides Optima make deep cycle batteries though, just gotta do some research or perhaps create another thread to get advice on the current best deep cycle batts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mojoies

10+ year member
mojoies
aiea hawaii
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from