ok another wiring question

jaygeorge1979
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
ok all u car audio junkiws this should be simple enough for you.....

i have a pair of 4 ohm tweeters and i wnat to buy a pair of 8 ohm midranges.....

i want to run a tweeter and a midrange on the same channel...my head unit can handle a four ohm load...will this work or will i be hurting my HU....how do u know???? what are the secret calculations.....thanks in advance

i think i get it for the most part....but if 2.6 is less than 4 ohms then shouldnt I have a problem??? i do have passive x-overs but how does that make a difference??? someone please help i am an idiot lol.....

Originally posted by jaygeorge1979 i think i get it for the most part....but if 2.6 is less than 4 ohms then shouldnt I have a problem??? i do have passive x-overs but how does that make a difference??? someone please help i am an idiot lol.....
cause they are adding resistance to one or the other speaker depending on freq

The formula for calculating impedance/resistance ratings (in your case) would be.

using Ohms Law 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rt where R1, R2 = Resistance values

RT = Total resistance

1/4 + 1/8 = 3/8 = 2.6 ohms

Originally posted by sforget The formula for calculating impedance/resistance ratings (in your case) would be.

using Ohms Law 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/Rt where R1, R2 = Resistance values

RT = Total resistance

1/4 + 1/8 = 3/8 = 2.6 ohms
thats just the raw drivers connected to a amp----------they have passive x-overs

Originally posted by jaygeorge1979 wow this crap is so confusing...is there some essay written somewhere explaining all this ohm crap cuase bits and peices of info arent doing it for me...thanks
just look around the net for laws of electricity

Greeting's,

I have had it with my amp, I have gone through 5 fuses and shorted out my amp. I have no clue where the light blue wire is susposed to go behind the stereo. I was told to the antenna but my reciever isn't labeled and I have two blue wires, I connected both wires but it sparked when I tried to attatch to amp, then when I finally attatched it my subs didn't work, can you make any sence of this before I go spend $200-to have everything professionally done. Thanks a bunch...

hey dude first of all u need to post your question on a new thread (click on "new thread" on the top right corner of the main page) what u have done is posted a reply to my question, which only a couple of people will see...i will try to help but posting it elsewhere would be more efficient for U...dont worry i dont mind though...neway your problem is that u have a blue remote connect wire...it tells the amp when to turn on...u have an aftermarket stereo i am assuming...and you manuel should tell u which wire is the remote lead...the name is something like that...the blue wire from the stereo should be used for this or be used for a powered antenna...jsut read your manual it should help if u dont have the manual then look online for the manual...go to the online site. for example http://www.aiwa.com and most manuals are posted online...if still not then look online for a stereo wire diagram for cars similar to yours...this should help but still post this elsewhere for further assisatnce...

You have three choices of where to hook the amp turn-on wire or the,"light-blue wire", up to. ACC+(usually a red wire), Power Antenna, or sometimes there is a specific wire dedicated to the amp turn-on. But like jay said, do read your manual to find out for sure. But I would try hooking it up to the ACC+(accessory supply) if you have no clue. And of course be sure the wire you hook up to actually is the ACC+ wire.

By the way, disconnect the negative terminal of your battery before connecting, or removing any components to and from your amp. You'll save many fuses, sparks, and injuries that way.

hey here is a good one for you...my friends air conditioner was broken so I used that switch and power wire so that he could have a switch for his amp...dont ask me why he had an amp before AC down here is south texas it is hotter than hell....lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.