can there be too much resistance?????

Participant count
  • Participant list

MarcBrev
10+ year member

CA
finally i have a good sub -JL 12W6. The problem is that its running off a bad amp(mysterious Magnavox 640 watts @ 2 ohms). When the sub was wired to 3 ohms the amp would simply not even start, it even blew its fuse twice. So i rewired it, the only other way is 12 ohms, and now it will play for 15 seconds to a minute depending on volume, and then clips out. So I tried it on my brothers amp, PPI 240 watts, and it clip in and out, greeen light swtiched back and forth with red light. But then my amp would play the JL 12W0 just fine(4 ohms). So I am wondering if the resistance can be toooo high? Is there a way to fool the amp or some trick to make it less that 12 ohms? Thanks for your help

Do W6s have dual voice coils? I don't think so, but I can't remember. How many channels does your amp have? And how many ohms is your sub? It's usually between 2-6. Now, if your amp is stable at 2 ohms, than do the following for whatever resistance your sub is. I'm going to assume your amp is 2-channel. If it's not, than tell me what it is.

If the resistance of the sub is:

2 ohms- Wire the sub to a single channel.

4 ohms- Wire the sub to the amp "bridged" or in "parallel". This means put the positive end of the sub to one channel, and the negative end of the sub to the other channel.

*6 ohms- As far as I know, you can't get 2 ohms from 6 unless you have dual voice coils.

is your amp 2 or 1 channels and how much power does it put out at each ohm level?

parallel for one dvc sub and one channel amp

spk1dvcn.gif

sterio for amp w/ 2 channels

spk1dvcn.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.