ok, amp/sub question

trey dogg
10+ year member

i went up to audio king today and the guy there said that i could get away with running a RF Punch HX2 from the JBL 1200.1.

the question that i have is this: why would i merely get away with it? that gives me pause about the JBL. (audio king did not have them... even if they did i sure as heck wouldnt buy it from them)

Originally posted by trey dogg i went up to audio king today and the guy there said that i could get away with running a RF Punch HX2 from the JBL 1200.1.

the question that i have is this: why would i merely get away with it? that gives me pause about the JBL. (audio king did not have them... even if they did i sure as heck wouldnt buy it from them)
I don't understand his use of "merely" get away....

Don't fret about the JBL... I know many people using them with excellent results...

(woo, another MN resident! A few hours away, but still in MN)

Ever find yourself near Alexandria/Fergus Falls area, I'm about an hour away, drop by and we'll beat around some adire brahma's for you... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by jlaine  

I don't understand his use of "merely" get away....

Don't fret about the JBL... I know many people using them with excellent results...

(woo, another MN resident! A few hours away, but still in MN)

Ever find yourself near Alexandria/Fergus Falls area, I'm about an hour away, drop by and we'll beat around some adire brahma's for you... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

he didn't use "merely"... i did. i mean what is the problem? is it the ohms or voice coil ratings or something? i mean it makes sense to me to hook up a 1200 watt rms amp to a 600 watt rms sub. i dunno... help!

and, umm, they wouldn't like me in alexandria or fergus falls. probably not morris, either.

i wouldnt buy a jbl amp ive had almost all of them the 80.2, 300.1, 600.1 they all lost noticeable power after a while they also distorted all of the subs i had hooked up to them

Nothin less than 15 inches
  • Pioneer 7300
  • Pioneer 6x9s
  • Pioneer 4 x 6
  • Pioneer compnent speakers
  • 2 Mtx 15 inch subs
  • 2 Mtx 4244 thunder amps

Originally posted by trey dogg  

he didn't use "merely"... i did. i mean what is the problem? is it the ohms or voice coil ratings or something? i mean it makes sense to me to hook up a 1200 watt rms amp to a 600 watt rms sub. i dunno... help!

and, umm, they wouldn't like me in alexandria or fergus falls. probably not morris, either.
Blah.. I could care less what others think... if you find yourself around, drop me a line, I may have some toys to play around with at the time... We are a college community, I doubt you'll get many looks.

You can just have your gains set to match the subwoofer, and while you are not going to use all of the JBL amp, at least you don't have to sell it off, and if you upgrade in the future, you know you have the extra headroom ready for whenever you want to use it. Just set your gains properly, and be careful of the subwoofer and its limitations.

sweet... thanks for the info

thing is that i'm in a college community too... and not all are comfortable in the presence of an african american... and this is in the twin cities.

Originally posted by trey dogg sweet... thanks for the info

thing is that i'm in a college community too... and not all are comfortable in the presence of an african american... and this is in the twin cities.
Agreed, you are definitely a minority in the MN region, but I have a few friends that are in your same position... I personally see no issue with it, as everyone should be based on their own merits, not their exterior.

That is just me though- if you do ever by chance get this way, feel free to drop me a line.

Or if you are not busy in July, we are having a very large get-together, you are more than welcome to attend, you should get some exposure to quite a bit of toys... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

alright, i'm gonna go crazy if i dont ask this question even if i will sound stupid...

would the jbl 1200.1 run the RF hx2 power? i asked the guy @ audio king bout this one too, who said that it would take tons of battery power and said that it would take two of the jbl's.

None of my business, but its starting to sound to me like he's dogging the 1200.1 because he doesn't carry it. If he could sell it to you I wonder how different his opinion would be. Unless he's trying to make the Rockford look superhuman.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

The Adire Brahma's that Jlaine is talking about beating around can take more power than a Power HX2, and he's already said before that he's only running 300 watts into his and it sounds great.

Originally posted by trey dogg alright, i'm gonna go crazy if i dont ask this question even if i will sound stupid...

would the jbl 1200.1 run the RF hx2 power? i asked the guy @ audio king bout this one too, who said that it would take tons of battery power and said that it would take two of the jbl's.
That is the RFR3112 correct? You'll have to humor me some as I don't follow RF products very carefully, but I do have some specifics on them...

If that is the specific model you are speaking of, then yes, you'll have no problems driving that woofer to its fullest, and potentially destroying it if you really go balls to the wall.

It is a DVC4, so you have a 2 ohm load on the JBL, and the JBL's I've seen bench test at about 1300~1400. This exceeds thermal limitations for the RF, so the single JBL is more than a match for the singular RF subwoofer.

I howl with my JBL and single Shiva, don't hesitate with the JBL's, I do more damage than my friends that have 2-4 12's that either installed themselves or professionaly. But again, make sure to give them enough power, I have to buy a bigger altenator very soon. JBL's hit you like Shaquile O'Neil with a base ball bat on your chest. -geltoob

Maybe he just ment "On this battery?"

The guy in my shop always talks like that but he does it regarding the battery...

Btw... is it just me or is this uno abnormal ? It gives me 42amps from the charger and the battery itself is also 42amps but if I take the max of my amps I would be using 80amps + but I never have battery problems (and i do pump that ****)

wicked huh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.