Ohm's ?

So for example

If you your amp does 100 watts at 4 ohms and 200 watts and 2 ohms and it cant do 1 ohm.

Do not buy a single 1 ohm sub

Do not buy a single 4 ohm sub

Buy either a dual 4 ohm sub to wire in parallel to get 2 ohms, or buy a single 2 ohm sub and wire it right up or a dual 1 ohm sub and wire them in series to get 2 ohms.

By dual and single I mean VOICE COIL (DVC, SVC) etc etc…

HEHE that rhymed

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I dont see why not if u want to wire it to 4 ohms.

I dont see why not if u want to wire it to 4 ohms.

Originally Posted by BeesEverywhere!

So for example

If you your amp does 100 watts at 4 ohms and 200 watts at 2 ohms and it cant do 1 ohm.

Buy either a dual 4 ohm sub to wire in parallel to get 2 ohms, or buy a single 2 ohm sub and wire it right up or a dual 1 ohm sub and wire them in series to get 2 ohms.

HEHE that rhymed
my entire point was to NOT wire it to 4 ohms because 2 ohms gives you more power… this was just my example.

So for example

If you your amp does 100 watts at 4 ohms and 200 watts and 2 ohms and it cant do 1 ohm.

HEHE that rhymed

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
U can buy a single 4 ohm and hook it up to 4 ohm on the amp

Yep, there's nothing wrong with running it at 4 ohms. Heck theres nothing technically wrong with running it at a million ohms inductance, it just will be very very silent.

My point is, SOME of us, and on this forum thats a very small amount of us don't need to push their equipment to the max just to enjoy it. Shocking, I know but not all of us like to crank it to 11. :eek:

(don't worry, thats not me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif But there's nothing wrong with it. I don't think most of us know the volume knob goes up AND down.)

Yep, there's nothing wrong with running it at 4 ohms. Heck theres nothing technically wrong with running it at a million ohms inductance, it just will be very very silent.
My point is, SOME of us, and on this forum thats a very small amount of us don't need to push their equipment to the max just to enjoy it. Shocking, I know but not all of us like to crank it to 11. :eek:

(don't worry, thats not me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif But there's nothing wrong with it. I don't think most of us know the volume knob goes up AND down.)
running it at higher resistances usually puts less stress on the equipment too.

U can buy a single 4 ohm and hook it up to 4 ohm on the amp
I never said you can't, but I made it pretty clear that if you do, you lose half the power in my example which often happens in real life when you give an amp the non-ideal load.

in my example, 4 ohms is not the ideal load

therefore:

DO NOT BUY A 4 OHM SUB.

Point is, why buy a 1000watt amplifier, only to wire it up so it will never put out more than 500 watts? Otherwise you are paying for watts you will never ever use. The stress arguement is flawed, as you admit, your system has a volume button. Do yourself a favor, purchase an amp and wire it up so you CAN get the max out of it if you so desire, then simply keep the volume down unless you need more power for a specific situation. Suggesting people buy an amp then wire it up less than ideal is not good advice imo, it wastes money.

my entire point was to NOT wire it to 4 ohms because 2 ohms gives you more power… this was just my example.
thaT was stupid. my amp puts out the same power at 4 ohm that it does with 2 ohm. id perfer to have a 4 omh woofer.

most people bridge a 2 channel amp to get more power. that usually runs at 4 ohm,

please dont come here with this BS of yours. kthx

Point is, why buy a 1000watt amplifier, only to wire it up so it will never put out more than 500 watts? Otherwise you are paying for watts you will never ever use. The stress arguement is flawed, as you admit, your system has a volume button. Do yourself a favor, purchase an amp and wire it up so you CAN get the max out of it if you so desire, then simply keep the volume down unless you need more power for a specific situation. Suggesting people buy an amp then wire it up less than ideal is not good advice imo, it wastes money.
That's more than a bit generalized, wouldn't you say? There are too many variables in that particular equation to make a blanket statement that buying an amp that can produce more output than you have any use for currently is a waste of money.

Here's an example:

Someone gets an outstanding deal on amplifier X. Doesn't matter where the "ooo, whatta deal" came from just know that it did. For the sake of argument we'll say that Amp X makes 600w @ 4 Ohms, 1,000w @ 2 Ohms, and 1,500+ @ 1 Ohm.

The person who has bought this amp (because they got a heckuva deal on it moreso than having an actual need for that level of output) cannot find a corresponding deal on a subwoofer or subwoofers that will safely accept the more than 1.5kW Amp X will output when shown a 1 Ohm load.

Do they simply not use the amp because they can't afford the necessary drivers to make the most of it? No - they get what they can afford...something that will take the 600w the amp makes @ 4 Ohms. Whether they accomplish that with the use of a SVC 4 Ohm subwoofer, a DVC 2 Ohm subwoofer, or whatever else is inconsequential. Saying they're wasting resources by not using that amp to its maximum capability by showing it a 1 Ohm load is a bit silly in my humble opinion.

mine goes to 50,//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

That's more than a bit generalized, wouldn't you say? There are too many variables in that particular equation to make a blanket statement that buying an amp that can produce more output than you have any use for currently is a waste of money.
Here's an example:

Someone gets an outstanding deal on amplifier X. Doesn't matter where the "ooo, whatta deal" came from just know that it did. For the sake of argument we'll say that Amp X makes 600w @ 4 Ohms, 1,000w @ 2 Ohms, and 1,500+ @ 1 Ohm.

The person who has bought this amp (because they got a heckuva deal on it moreso than having an actual need for that level of output) cannot find a corresponding deal on a subwoofer or subwoofers that will safely accept the more than 1.5kW Amp X will output when shown a 1 Ohm load.

Do they simply not use the amp because they can't afford the necessary drivers to make the most of it? No - they get what they can afford...something that will take the 600w the amp makes @ 4 Ohms. Whether they accomplish that with the use of a SVC 4 Ohm subwoofer, a DVC 2 Ohm subwoofer, or whatever else is inconsequential. Saying they're wasting resources by not using that amp to its maximum capability by showing it a 1 Ohm load is a bit silly in my humble opinion.
You say my statements are too general, then come up with one possible situation that goes against it. Here, let me reword it for you guys who need clarification: Sure, if you get some outstanding deal on an amplifier that is more power than you need but will work, go for it. (why would you think Id suggest otherwise) But for the rest of us who dont fit that situation (the vast majority of us), paying for twice as many watts as you'll ever use, just for the sake of 'stress', is a waste of money.

Better? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

thaT was stupid. my amp puts out the same power at 4 ohm that it does with 2 ohm. id perfer to have a 4 omh woofer.
most people bridge a 2 channel amp to get more power. that usually runs at 4 ohm,

please dont come here with this BS of yours. kthx
If your amp puts out the same power at either impedance, why would you say you prefer one impedance over the other? If this is that stress arguement again, I should tell you, amps like yours that are driven to the same power output potential at various impedances (like the JL amps for example) are also driven to the same stress levels at any of those given imepdances. IOW, if your amp does the same output at various impedances, the 'higher impedances are less stressful on your equipment' arguement does not fit your situation.

You will receive the same performance (output AND distortion levels) at either impedance fyi.

Lastly, Im not sure what your point is, but to an amplifier that's bridged into a 4ohm mono load, its the exact same thing to the amplifier as running at 2ohms stereo. The amp doesn't even know if its bridged or not, nor does it care.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.