Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread (((PICS)))

I have some thoughts I'd like offer - take 'em for what they're worth.

1) Just like a fuse between the battery and an amp, the wire between the alternator and the battery should always be fused. The factory wire is fused (usually a fusible link) for a reason, same applies here - if the wire shorts without a fuse it starts an electrical fire. That's why the fuse was recommended to match the wire, not the amp draw or alternator output - you're protecting against a short, not the alt or batt. This is a safety thing & only you can say what your car, system and whatever else is around is worth.

2) Assumed: original wires retained...Stating electricity follows the path of least resistance may be misleading to some. Maybe this will help. The electrons making up the current flow will follow both paths - more going down the bigger wire, but it will still flow through both. 4-gauge has about 0.00025 Ohm/ft resistance and 8-gauge (typical OEM size) has about 0.00063 Ohm/ft resistance (what's that, 2 & 1/2 times as much?). So think of this like a parallel resistor network. If that's too hard, think of electricity flow like water flow. With two pipes - one big, one small - most will go down the big pipe, but not all of it.

3) Last thought (I promise). For those of you who don't want to do all three, at least do the chassis ground to battery with a wire as big as you run to your amp...think about it, if the electrons makes it to the amp, they got to get back into the battery somehow...

DSC01657.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01659.jpg

woohoo it has begun

ok i went to the local audio places (fry's, best buy, tweeter, etc) looking for some batterey clamps that can accept the 1/0, but alas no one has any

any one got any links as to where i can get some nice looking ones online

(oh thats about 20ft of 1/0 for about $25)

what is the blue plastic thing is it the fuse how necessary is a fuse if one is need how much do they cost and what rating one should i get for 4 ga wire with a 800w sub with 2 front speakers at about 200w each with a 1600w amp would i need a higher gauge wire also how would u attatch to the positive terminals without the adapter thing you have on there

DSC01657.jpg
DSC01658.jpg

DSC01659.jpg

woohoo it has begun

ok i went to the local audio places (fry's, best buy, tweeter, etc) looking for some batterey clamps that can accept the 1/0, but alas no one has any

any one got any links as to where i can get some nice looking ones online

(oh thats about 20ft of 1/0 for about $25)
Hey, whered u get that wire from and is it able to withstand heat under a hood?

For 25 bucks for 20 ft, thats a good deal.

yea just run a search on phoenix gold/stinger/streetwires battery terminals. Im sure theres tons. Im fine with just the cheap metal hook ones but thats just me:p:
Audiopipe makes some very very inexpensive wire accessories. They're excellent quality for the price.

this isnt a forum about punctuation. im just trying to get some help can try to do that without insulting me
Yes, but if you want help, it would really help people to help you if they can understand what you're saying //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

Edit: 1000th post //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.