Official CarAudio.com Big 3 Thread (((PICS)))

I have a question about the voltage regulator. Is the voltage regulated inside of the alternator? If it's not, how could the voltage be regulated when running the alternator + to battery +?

I have a question about the voltage regulator. Is the voltage regulated inside of the alternator? If it's not, how could the voltage be regulated when running the alternator + to battery +?
Yes the voltage is regulated inside the alternator, it is made to put out ~14 volts, but you are still going to have voltage drops/spikes from time to time for various reasons.

Yes the voltage is regulated inside the alternator, it is made to put out ~14 volts, but you are still going to have voltage drops/spikes from time to time for various reasons.
Well my voltage is running continuously at 14.6 volts (measured on battery with a DMM) with the engine on. The alternator is stock. Is this a problem?

Shouldn't be, I'm sure that will drop when you have your amps running.
It is. I finished the big 3 today w/ the alt. + to bat. + and when i first turned the car on it was at 14.7 volts. Then it dropped down a little. It played at 14.63 continuously with the amp on.

^is that at idle or while driving?

on cold starts, i get 14.7v and it eventually drops down to high 13's when the car is warmed up and in motion. warmed up and in idle is usually 14.1v. this is without the +alt to +batt of the big-3 btw.

^is that at idle or while driving?
on cold starts, i get 14.7v and it eventually drops down to high 13's when the car is warmed up and in motion. warmed up and in idle is usually 14.1v. this is without the +alt to +batt of the big-3 btw.
This is at idle.

See what it is like in drive and in motion, most likely it will go down.
The way that I have checked my voltage is with a DMM. My voltage guage in my truck (on dash) doesn't have any numbers on it, but it's always slighty past halfway. If it drops, it's not by much.

The way that I have checked my voltage is with a DMM. My voltage guage in my truck (on dash) doesn't have any numbers on it, but it's always slighty past halfway. If it drops, it's not by much.
That voltage gauge isn't going to be very accurate though, you'll still want to check it out with a dmm. Put your car up on a lift, or jack the front or rear up (w/e drive it is) have someone hit the gas into normal accelleration and then take the reading. You COULD hold the brake and hit the gas but that's bad for your tranny and brakes, and pretty dangerous if your standing in front of the car taking readings lol.

That voltage gauge isn't going to be very accurate though, you'll still want to check it out with a dmm. Put your car up on a lift, or jack the front or rear up (w/e drive it is) have someone hit the gas into normal accelleration and then take the reading. You COULD hold the brake and hit the gas but that's bad for your tranny and brakes, and pretty dangerous if your standing in front of the car taking readings lol.
I don't think I want to try that:laugh:. If it stays at it's current voltage, then it's probably not a big deal. However, if it keeps going up, I know I have a regulator problem.

Put it in neutral?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.