OEM Headunit to Aux

Participant count
  • Participants list

dmannman

CarAudio.com Newbie
Warning this question will probably sound extremely dumb.

So in short, if I have an OEM headunit and i use a line level converter to output to rca and then used a rca to aux 3.5mm adapter. Could I use that output for an aux input on another headunit? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no problem with this so long as you are not feeding a ton of voltage through the RCAs directly into the AUX of another headunit. Keep in mind they are designed for phones and stuff, not to be fed directly off an amp or another headunit, I'm not an expert, but I believe it could be a factor. The problem here is that you aren't changing anything about the signal. I assume you want an aftermarket headunit because your stock one has some kind of bass rolloff or weird EQ, or is lacking features like bluetooth? You would have more adjustability with an aftermarket unit, but it's not going to sound any better with this setup if the input signal is from the stock unit. If you already plan on having 2 headunits for some reason, why not just run the second one entirely separate?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see no problem with this so long as you are not feeding a ton of voltage through the RCAs directly into the AUX of another headunit. Keep in mind they are designed for phones and stuff, not to be fed directly off an amp or another headunit, I'm not an expert, but I believe it could be a factor. The problem here is that you aren't changing anything about the signal. I assume you want an aftermarket headunit because your stock one has some kind of bass rolloff or weird EQ, or is lacking features like bluetooth? You would have more adjustability with an aftermarket unit, but it's not going to sound any better with this setup if the input signal is from the stock unit. If you already plan on having 2 headunits for some reason, why not just run the second one entirely separate?
So what i plan on doing is putting in 4 new door speakers and my subs. I have already figured out how to run the rest of the system off the aftermarket stereo aswell. The problem i had is i wanted to keep the original headunit design aswell as steering wheel controls and others. I would just swap the headunit out as im already running new wires to everything but i dont have the money to buy a new faceplate for the aftermarket HU as the temp controls and all that kind of stuff are one piece. Step by step what i am going to do is run the two headunits wires parallel to each other besides the speaker wires. I will have the oem headunit output to the aftermarket HU and then the aftermarket to the amps. By doing it this way i hope to be able to hide the aftermarket HU with all settings/volume set and just use the oem as normal. Im definitely open to suggestions as i know this is probably not the best way but this was just what i came up with in my head at 1:30 in the morning ?

Just get a DSP. Way easier and cheaper and the MUCH better option.

The new Dayton is only 150 bucks.
Was thinking about a DSP but wasn't sure how to incorporate 4 more speakers/2 tweeters, and a sub into the oem 9 channel setup without an aftermarket HU.

Lose some. You don't need that many channels.

If you MUST have that many speakers, some of them can share a channel. 
Yea you're probably right, i knew my way was messy and there had to be another option. Thanks for the advise. :thumbsup:

Get an LC7i, that's plenty for your setup. The whole second headunit thing like I said, is pointless. Like TaylorFade said, there's no need for 9 channels, and if you feel so inclined, get another LC7i and hook it up. Then you don't need to cut or modify the stock harness in any way. Just buy speaker adapters from Metra for your car, and run wires from those to the LC7i in the trunk and back. It's a lot of work no doubt, but it's definitely more reasonable. Look on the used market for one, they go for like $50 used all the time. Also, you can keep steering wheel controls with 99% of decent aftermarket headunits.

Get an LC7i, that's plenty for your setup. The whole second headunit thing like I said, is pointless. Like TaylorFade said, there's no need for 9 channels, and if you feel so inclined, get another LC7i and hook it up. Then you don't need to cut or modify the stock harness in any way. Just buy speaker adapters from Metra for your car, and run wires from those to the LC7i in the trunk and back. It's a lot of work no doubt, but it's definitely more reasonable. Look on the used market for one, they go for like $50 used all the time. Also, you can keep steering wheel controls with 99% of decent aftermarket headunits.
I mainly didnt want to switch headunits because i would need a new dashplate for my car and because it has temp controls on it, it cost like $250-$300 and then i would still the cable to retain steering controls. Thanks for the advise on the LC7i, havent heard much about it and will definitely check it out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.