Noobest of the noob wiring help...

Foote
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hi, I dont have much experince in installing, or electrical in general. In fact, I think I have so little experince that I cant even find help on what Im looking for lol. So I will ask directly. Ok, first some synopsis:

Recently I installed my first system (dont worry, I went out and bought some walmart subs, amps, wiring, etc for my first try //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ) Well, I got em working, but not so efficently. I guess you could call it "ghetto-rigged." Well, Ive definetly seen a lot worse. The problem was mostly with wire endings. I just dont understand how crimping works...and how your supposed to stick the wires in to those little end pieces (dont even know what they are called...terminals?) You know...the ones that go to power leads, ground, turn-on etc...the ends that stick in the amp and the bolt down ends...the little metal usually with a hole in them. Ya, I didnt use those...I just wrapped the wire around bolts/screws. Reason is...I couldnt find anything on the PROPER way to do it....so if anyone could give some really detailed help to a super noob itd be very appreciated. You wouldnt want me going to CC or Best Buy would you? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif last time I went there, I couldnt turn my system up past 1/4th way without the amp cutting out.

You need something like this. You can pick a pair up at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack for pretty cheap.

360-630L.jpg

Strip about 1/4 to 3/8" of the jacket off.

Twist the wire with your fingers and slide it into the terminal.

Use the crimper's to crush the terminal tightly onto the wire.

I prefer to solder myself, but we can get to that at a later time.

well, i cant find one big enough for 1/0 ga. wire //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Uh if you are talking about ring terminals (below) you can use the above mentioned tool, or for larger gauge, a hammer or bench vise. Either works.

http://www.eagle-cable.com/root/images/products/108.jpg

If you are talking about putting the wire in one of the input terminals on the amp, you need to get an allen (sp?) wrench to move the little screw out of the way. Then put your wire in the hole, and then tighten the screw back down.

PM me questions, if you've got them.

I prefer a very nice serrated pocket knife with wide groves to strip wire. That way I can see exactly what I'm doing and can control the cut a lot better.

To put a ring terminal on 0 gauge:

-Strip about 1/2" of insulation off the wire

-Cut a piece of heat shrink (make sure it fits around the sleeve of the ring terminal) about 1.5-2" long and put it on the wire, slide it out of the way

-Open up a bench vise about 1/4", enough to seat the ring terminal in the gap of the vise

-Put the bare wire into the ring terminal

-Use a hammer and a chisel, hammer the center of the sleeve of the ring terminal to clamp the wire inside the terminal

-Now lightly clamp the terminal inside the vise.

-Use a torch and heat up the sleeve of the terminal, careful not to set the insulation of the wire on fire

-Shove solder into the sleeve of the ring terminal, while keeping the torch on it just enough to keep it hot enough to melt the solder going in.

-Fill up the gap with solder

-Wait a bit for it to cool off

-Slide the heat shrink over the sleeve of the ring terminal, center it between the terminal and the wire

-Use a lighter the shrink it down on the wire

aye...

Another question:

I know most of you guys dont "believe" in capacitors. But I wanna wire one. And Im a tad bit confused. Correct me If Im wrong but, do you run your power cord to your cap (+) then from the cap (+) to the amp power input. And run your Cap (-) to a ground. Or is it from the Cap (-) to your amps ground input, then another ground wire from the amp to the ground? Also...what size wire do I need to use for a 6.0 Farad Cap's ground? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Will 4 be ok? Or should I go lower?

It really shouldn't matter about the order of grounding. Grounds are all connected through your vehicle chassis to your neg. battery terminal.

You did the pos wire correctly.

XanderMoser:

That's the most complicated thing I've ever seen to put a terminal on.

well, i cant find one big enough for 1/0 ga. wire //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Lol... Wire cutters..

360-624m.jpg

and to strip them

360-373m.jpg

Thats what I do....

EDIT:

as for the cap, just ground your CAP/BACK BATTERY/AMP all to the same location or your will ground loop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.