Noob needing some guidance on sub/amp combo (BLOWN SUB??!)

Participant count
  • Participant list

alanna.gray03

Okay, so I'm new to the car audio world, so be easy! I've always loved bass and loud, good quality music, and I've had my car for 6 1/2 years now and decided it was time I jump in head first and update my whole sound system in my Toyota Corolla '09 Sport model. I've had some help from a couple of friends and my brother though.

I just recently invested in:

-Alpine CDE-153BT CD Reciever

-Kicker (300 watt peak power) 2-way front door/rear deck speakers

-Alpine Type R 12" sub (SWR-12D4)

-Kicker KX800.1 amp with Rockville wiring kit

(If you do not want to read the background story, just jump down a couple of paragraphs to get to my main issue. Background story and info is there so it wont be so confusing and maybe you'll better understand the situation.)

I was satisfied with all of my purchases, and just this past Monday night (9/14) finished putting the whole system together. I love my new stereo and door speakers...that alone was an awesome upgrade and I have no complaints on those whatsoever. HOWEVER, the sub/amp combo and details on that are still a bit fuzzy for me. I am new to this, but my brother has some experience with car audio systems, as he's had a few of his own back in the day...and we both have our fair share of common sense and knowledge, but we are by no means professionals (as you all could probably guess). We have done our own research, watched numerous videos and discussed everything we've done on the system.

Once we got my stereo and door speakers in, we ran all of my wires and started making connections. My sub is a 4 ohm, but we wired it so that it would carry a 2 ohm load. Now, through research and hearsay, I thought the Type R sub was supposed to be a great choice, considering the fact that it produces good quality sound and can handle a beating, for the price you pay, so that's why I went with the Type R. It is supposed to be able to handle 800 watts at a 2 ohm load. The Kicker amp I got was an 800 mono and the sub was wired parallel. Me and my brother custom built a ported box for my sub, according to Alpine and Kicker's specs. So, if all of this is true, and I am assuming that it is, then everything checks out and should be fine and dandy!

***!!! Now, onto my problem...last Monday night (9/14) was when the sub/amp was installed. It has been one week since then, and within that time I have played the sub, but was real easy on it for the first few days and only recently have I turned my bass knob up so that it would hit harder and deeper. I drive for 45 minutes to and from work every day, so it gets its fair share of playing time during the week. Well what do you know...yesterday on the way home from work, my sub stops working. There was a couple of hard hitting songs that played and I had the knob turned up some. I got home and checked everything out, looking for anything obvious to my eyes, and everything seemed to look in order and I know the wiring should not be a problem by the way it was done. I pushed down on the sub's cone today and it had a scratching/grinding noise, and I am assuming one of my voice coils may be toast. I haven't thoroughly looked over everything with my brother yet though...hopefully we'll be doing that tonight! But if anyone may have a clue what went wrong or why it happened, or if something seems wrong...any advice, knowledge or any light can be shed on this situation, I would be very grateful and it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Death due to clipping
But that doesn't mean that my amp/sub combo is mix-matched does it? I have read where some people say that the Type Rs cant hold as much power as it's claimed to, so they only have a 500 watt amp powering the sub. Then I've read where the Type Rs are great and can actually hold a lot more power than people normally feed them. I just want to make sure that my amp isn't overpowering OR underpowering my sub. I figured the 800 watt amp was just right for the Type R, but some people say that they blow easily due to underpowering. Just looking for the main issue here and what to fix. Why is it clipping...an amp/sub problem, or just how the amp was tuned incorrectly? Also, this probably means that the only way to save the sub is to get it recoiled, which means that it's pretty much gonna be rebuilt, right?? Being that we custom made a box for the Type R...I'm probably sticking with the same sub instead of just buying a different brand. Different kind of sub pretty much means a whole new box, right?

Under powering does not blows subwoofers. Dirty single blows subwoofers coils. Alpine type r will take a 1500watt amp with a clean single. Turning the gain knob to high and got dirty and clipped the woofer to death

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.