NOOB looking for install advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dolomiteclay

Hi

I want to apologize in advance for the lengthy post, but I’m trying to decide on what to do with regards to my car audio problems.

My vehicle is a 2008 4 Runner and I had the factory head unit replaced by Best Buy in 2015 with a Pioneer 6134. I have had consistent issues with it turning off or not producing any sound, and I took it back a number of times and had them look at it. I finally thought it was fixed and then here in the last few months it would randomly turn off again. On Monday, during my commute home, it turned off and I can’t get it to turn back on.

I haven’t pulled head unit out and looked at it but I have checked the fuses and the radio fuses look to be in good shape. I have contacted BestBuy and I have an appointment setup with them on Friday so that they can take a look at it, but I’m not holding out hope that they will be able to fix it and for all I know that thing could just be a lemon. Truth be told, I really don’t like the 6134 in general and I have been thinking about replacing it with a Kenwood 9703 or 6703.

Based on what Best Buy says on Friday I’m going to be met with a variety of decisions.

1. I think that my most sound option is to let them (BB) see if they can fix it and if problems begin to occur again after that, I can replace it at a more reputable shop here in Houston.

2. Part of me also wants to just say to heck with Best Buy, find a reputable Kenwood dealer, and then have them install a 6703 or 9703.

3. I’m not sure how difficult it would be to replace an aftermarket radio with another aftermarket head unit. To add greater complexity to the matter, I also would have to disconnect and install the existing XM tuner from the old head unit and put it on the new one and disconnect the steering control from the existing unit and hook it to the new one. There is also a factory amp that is connected to Head Unit and since I don’t want to replace it I would want to connect it to the new head unit as well. All of that coupled with the process of connecting the new radio’s wiring to the harness has me thinking that there are a whole lot of steps that a rookie could mess up badly.

I have probably answered my question after writing all of this out, but I would imagine that if I go about replacing my old head unit I should probably let a professional do it since I can’t solder and I’m not good with wiring and with the additional hookups, it is probably worth the money to let someone else do it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.