Noob gain setting question.

Participant count
  • Participant list

geonfreaq
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm kinda confused now. I know the formula for using a DMM to set gains (I can not get my hands on a scope till next week) but all my sub amps have only had one set of speaker connections (+-)

My new amp however has two (-+-+) I have two subs (D4) and each is wired to two ohms and connected just as the following picture shows.

7f9b4f52.jpg

The birth sheet on my PR1x1000 says 1165w. Not sure at what voltage that was tested at though. I am getting 14.3v at the amp.

What voltage do I need to be getting from the amp when setting the gains and with what test tone? 50hz?

The way I'm figuring this is 500w out of each connection so at each (+-) I should be shooting for 22.36v correct?

Jason

having 2 sets of terminals only means that the amp is paralleling both sets together internally. if you wanna run 1000w you do sqrt(1000) since you would be running it at a 1ohm load. people use different frequencies and different volume levels for setting it, i just use 50hz -3dB. some people like 60Hz. doesnt really matter IMO

having 2 sets of terminals only means that the amp is paralleling both sets together internally. if you wanna run 1000w you do sqrt(1000) since you would be running it at a 1ohm load. people use different frequencies and different volume levels for setting it, i just use 50hz -3dB. some people like 60Hz. doesnt really matter IMO
So shoot for just under 31.62v on each set of terminals?

doesn't matter which terminal you measure as long as you match up positive and negative. if you pop open the case you would see that they all go to the same spot

Gotchya. Thanks man. I owe ya a beer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Gotchya. Thanks man. I owe ya a beer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
maybe in a couple years //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

honest question, why not use like 35hz? I always set by ear and when I've set at 50-60hz with a meter, it doesn't work well at low frequencies
impedance changes with frequencies...you're safest to set it when its at around 60hz. plus, most boxes are tuned around 35hz. setting your gain there would mean over excursion at higher frequencies.

For some reason, no matter what I do, I dont get over .4v out of the amp but its driving the subs no problem.

?????????? AAAAHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

impedance changes with frequencies...you're safest to set it when its at around 60hz. plus, most boxes are tuned around 35hz. setting your gain there would mean over excursion at higher frequencies.
What I'm saying is, if I tune at 60hz and everything is fine and dandy, then I play music at 30hz it changes. when I've used a dmm on tones, say 60hz is at 20 volts, 40 hertz will be at 40 volts...or something similar, won't that cause equipment damage?

What I'm saying is, if I tune at 60hz and everything is fine and dandy, then I play music at 30hz it changes. when I've used a dmm on tones, say 60hz is at 20 volts, 40 hertz will be at 40 volts...or something similar, won't that cause equipment damage?
Impedance changes with frequency man, it's been said already. Your comparing apples and oranges, it doesn't matter what the voltage is at a different frequency because you have no idea what the impedance was/is.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.