Noob building a small car setup

Idknething

CarAudio.com Newbie
What’s up I’m a noob. What’s up y’all. I have a small 1989 civic sedan. Please help me understand and piece together a setup. Not looking to be spoon fed I am on google and YouTube. I plan to have a local audio shop wire everything up. After I mount the speakers and other components.
In my possession currently and for years now are these Infinity kappa series 63.7i 6.5” 3 ways 2 ohm 75W rms 225W peak 95db 45Hz-25Hz. That my dad bought me and one day idk when I bought another pair. Of 6.5” PYLE performance midrange PDMR6 150W rms 300W Peak 8 ohm 93dB 200Hz-5Hz. I have no head unit, amp or subwoofer. On YouTube I see those 6.5” subwoofers by skar audio rattle trucks lol i then assume it could work great in my trunk if mounts properly. As for radios or head units not sure which is the proper term but what ever y’all recommend I’ll definitely look into. Features that I’m looking for are am fm aux usb sd card Bluetooth hands free calling lol the stuff you get in a $30 radio on eBay but something that also delivers Quality sound. As for the amp I don’t know. As far as I know the speakers have to be choose first.
So what do y’all think of my speakers be honest. Should I throw them away lol Should I ditch the Pyle’s and run four triaxial speakers all around. With/without the 6.5” sub in the trunk? I plan on doing some sound deadening too once all this is figured out. Thanks for reading.

I just learned about some PYLE PLG64 6.5” midrange/bass speakers. How’s about I ditch the mid range PYLEs that I have now and get some of those plg64’s. On top of that maybe ditch the 6.5” subwoofer idea all together. Making it a simple four speaker set up.

Last edited:
What’s up I’m a noob. What’s up y’all. I have a small 1989 civic sedan. Please help me understand and piece together a setup. Not looking to be spoon fed I am on google and YouTube. I plan to have a local audio shop wire everything up. After I mount the speakers and other components.
In my possession currently and for years now are these Infinity kappa series 63.7i 6.5” 3 ways 2 ohm 75W rms 225W peak 95db 45Hz-25Hz. That my dad bought me and one day idk when I bought another pair. Of 6.5” PYLE performance midrange PDMR6 150W rms 300W Peak 8 ohm 93dB 200Hz-5Hz. I have no head unit, amp or subwoofer. On YouTube I see those 6.5” subwoofers by skar audio rattle trucks lol i then assume it could work great in my trunk if mounts properly. As for radios or head units not sure which is the proper term but what ever y’all recommend I’ll definitely look into. Features that I’m looking for are am fm aux usb sd card Bluetooth hands free calling lol the stuff you get in a $30 radio on eBay but something that also delivers Quality sound. As for the amp I don’t know. As far as I know the speakers have to be choose first.
So what do y’all think of my speakers be honest. Should I throw them away lol Should I ditch the Pyle’s and run four triaxial speakers all around. With/without the 6.5” sub in the trunk? I plan on doing some sound deadening too once all this is figured out. Thanks for reading.

I just learned about some PYLE PLG64 6.5” midrange/bass speakers. How’s about I ditch the mid range PYLEs that I have now and get some of those plg64’s. On top of that maybe ditch the 6.5” subwoofer idea all together. Making it a simple four speaker set up.
Welcome Idknething. Would you consider running just the front stage. It will be easier to set up in every step and imo have a better soundstage than a 4.1 channel setup. Those Kappa will give more than enough sq sound for a clean setup. As for amp recommendations I have none. I am stuck on the old school gear and there are way too many sweet new brands out there to capture them all.

Welcome Idknething. Would you consider running just the front stage. It will be easier to set up in every step and imo have a better soundstage than a 4.1 channel setup. Those Kappa will give more than enough sq sound for a clean setup. As for amp recommendations I have none. I am stuck on the old school gear and there are way too many sweet new brands out there to capture them all.

I would consider running just the front stage. I assume that means the front two speakers. I learned that it’s said cheaper smaller speakers will sound better then larger ones that aren’t getting enough power.
What are your thoughts then on me running just the kappas up front only. With this cheap radio from eBay. It has all the bells and whistles new radios have but I’m really biased towards the dual knobs one for volume and one for tuning.

What size amp should I be shopping for?
Two channel 500w?? the kappas are 225w

Last edited:
Smaller speakers usually have lower power ratings, so it is easier to push them to loud levels. Yes, only front speakers is a good choice. That radio looks nice but I doubt it will power your Kappas like they deserve. Power ratings are not disclosed and if they were, they would be suspect. I recommend this single din JVC radio. Hands-free calling, bluetooth streaming, Pandora controls. Every JVC I have had, has had good power and great sound. At that price it is hard to ignore.

Smaller speakers usually have lower power ratings, so it is easier to push them to loud levels. Yes, only front speakers is a good choice. That radio looks nice but I doubt it will power your Kappas like they deserve. Power ratings are not disclosed and if they were, they would be suspect. I recommend this single din JVC radio. Hands-free calling, bluetooth streaming, Pandora controls. Every JVC I have had, has had good power and great sound. At that price it is hard to ignore.

thank you. Should I still add an amp to this configuration with the radio you recommend to me ? Out of curiosity if I really wanted to use that eBay radio could i/have to wire in an app of some sort. To compensate for the radios lack of power.

Last edited:
thank you. Should I still add an amp to this configuration with the radio you recommend to me ? Out of curiosity if I really wanted to use that eBay radio could i/have to wire in an app of some sort. To compensate for the radios lack of power.
With the JVC you do not need an amp. It has 18 watts rms per channel which is plenty for the majority of people. The classic radio will only play what it's built in amp has to offer. Now I may be wrong about it's power output, it may actually be as good as the JVC. But from experience, off brand Chinese radios tend to fall short of their specifications. But if that is the case, you can always add an amplifier.

I’ll put that jvc right next to to the Chinese off brand these days. If you Go with the jvc check the rca’s before you out your dash
Back together to ensure output voltage consistency. Signal strength is king. If it’s me I’d put the extra money toward a better hu

then run those infinity 3ways off a solid budget amp. Pioneer gmd8704 is a solid $120 spent. You can bridge the rear Channels of that 4 channel and send good power to small sub.

A sub like in a properly built sealed enclosure is a budget banger

The sundown lcs In the sundown yard sale were a
Good deal but it looks like they gone

I'm in the middle of a build on my 96 civic coupe. For a amp check out teramps. I'm using a 440x4 to push four audiopipe midrange and 2 tweeters. They have had great reviews and are budget friendly. Check out YouTube for reviews on them. They are also small which I prefer.

Thanks y’all I took my car on down to south central Los angles. To the car audio district lol we have that in la. I bought a pioneer deh-s5200bt for $90 an extra $25 to install and an extra $25 to install my kappa 3 ways. I was looking at pioneers website. Comparing what I purchased with some other stereos that they have available. I noticed that the “crossover network” for the 5200bt that i bought is HPF/LPF and the 6200bs that I compared it to had a 3-way network mode. Does that mean that my radio is for 2-way speakers? And the 6200bs would be preferable???
I asked they said it doesn’t make a difference
I walked to a few more shops and they said the same thing.

also a friend of mine told me something about a bass reducer some kind of in line resistor???
He mentioned it when I showed him my new stereo and turned it all the way up it sound a bit too much for my speakers at full blast.

it sound a bit too much for my speakers at full blast.
I would leave it just as it is. You are the only one whom will have access to your system and know how hard it was to get it to it's current level. So I'm sure you will use it judiciously. You can always lower the bass in the eq if it still worries you.
As for the 3way network mode, I suspect the unit turns the front channels into tweeter signal, the back channels into voice signal, and the sub channel remains sub channel. The manual was not clear on this. Your speakers came with a passive crossover network. The amp supplies the full audio spectrum, and the passives separate that spectrum into what each speaker is designed to play.

There was a pair of crossovers in the box and I saw them be installed. Sounds like I’m good. I think I read it too as something to do with front and rear setups. Another question can my particular radio still be wired to the dimmer switch?
Also there is a 31 band eq that I need to go YouTube but what happens to those settings when a kill switch is in use?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.