No voltage from the sub preamp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zimmerru

Iowa
I have a dual xhdr6435 (not a great radio but it works) and I'm trying to hook up my amp to it but when I checked the preamp with a voltmeter (to figure out which wire on my RCA cable is positive) I am showing no voltage with the radio on and turned up. I set the voltmeter to 200v AC (its lowest AC setting) but I'm not seeing any reading when checking either of the channels.

Is the preamp shot or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofer level is set at 6 out of a possible 0-12. Bass level set it 0 out of a possible -6 to +6 so right in the middle.

it may only have 2v pre outs or 1v rms, you'll need the headunit nearly maxed out to get a reading with your voltmeter

I have not hooked up the amp yet and I don't think the head unit has a crossover built in. My Sony deck did but I don't see any band pass settings in the menu on this one. I thought about the low voltage and will grab a different voltmeter or an auto ranging one to see if it reads low voltage better. I believe the preamp is 2v but I would have to double check.

a 0db test tone will get you a higher voltage out to check with, but i also just checked by dmm and it shows 200ACV min as yours does, but it also lets me see to the tenths place so you should be getting a reading albeit really low.

im trying to figure out why you even need to do this? does your headunit not have RCA outputs?

a 0db test tone will get you a higher voltage out to check with, but i also just checked by dmm and it shows 200ACV min as yours does, but it also lets me see to the tenths place so you should be getting a reading albeit really low.
im trying to figure out why you even need to do this? does your headunit not have RCA outputs?
I have not searched yet but is there a place I can grab a test tone cd or MP3? My meter does show the tenths place but it's not showing any reading.

I have not searched yet but is there a place I can grab a test tone cd or MP3? My meter does show the tenths place but it's not showing any reading.

you can download the frequency generator app for your phone

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.