No Sound or output signal of any kind

Participant count
  • Participant list

JB.Automotive

CarAudio.com Newbie
All right so I've had my system set up for a while now it's always changing but but it's always work just fine if ever I have an issue I can usually figure it out. The other day my bt signal dropped off and after restarting the phone and deck everything seemed fine. This repeated a few times over the next few days until no amount of resetting would help. After going all the wiring, running fresh wire to each speaker and amp and bypassing any fuses for the sake of testing still no sound. Not on any channel, nor with aux or tuner. I've tested the outputs direct from the stereo, it has constant 12 volt switch 12 volt and ground and I have tested one speaker output at a time and found an average of - .5 volts on all outputs. And then opened up the deck to check and see if there was any burn marks or scarring around the mosfet or any cracked soldering and found no apparent issue. I'm thinking that maybe the transistor is internally burned out. I have other transistors on hand and can replace it but don't want to risk further damage if this may not be the problem. Is there something simple and stupid that I'm missing? Again I have the deck connected directly to both power lines the constant 12 volt goes direct to the battery and the ground goes direct to the battery I have tested one output at a time with the multimeter and with speaker and get nothing.

Can you tell us exactly what equipment you are running and how you have it wired

For the purpose of testing I have only the deck with 12v con. 12vsw. and ground then using the wire from the deck harness itself (no amps fuses or splicing) direct to the test speaker. Progress has been made; it would appear that my multimeter has gone a bit fucky. Additionally the test speaker I was using seems to have a separated voice coil. Using a different speaker I repeated the test and have audio from tuner. This doesn't explain the initial drop of all audio so the fault for that must be in the wiring to the amps. I'll get a new meter in the morning and retrace all the wiring to ensure connection and no shorts. Hopefully I haven't blown an amp but I doubt that as both would have to have gone at the same time. One amp is a shitty Jensen 200 and the other is a stock amp pulled from a bmw in the junkyard which I've found to be a gold mine for free amps long as you can find the pinout and the bmw ones sound great. Consequently all that splicing leaves ones wiring highly prone to error or eventual failure. The bmw amp certainly wasn't running enough power to blow it. The Jensen maybe with the '18 pa woofer but I think it's just a short caused by rushed install and I'm always screwing around adding or removing stuff. Y'all are probably gonna end up rolling your eyes quite a bit at my shenanigans as my "equipment" is mostly either home made or junkyard finds and almost always in a constant state of experimentation.
We'll see how it goes in the morning

my "equipment" is mostly either home made or junkyard finds
I used to do this as well. I remember the giddy feeling when things would go right. I would jam out a few songs, sitting amidst a rat's nest of spliced wires, screwdrivers, electrical tape, wire strippers and whatnot. Then I would remember I had to tidy all up. This was all before the marvel of cell phones and the plethora of information at your beck and call. Back then all imports stuck to ISO, so wiring once learned was not difficult to figure out. I still have a few transistors, resistors, and capacitors of when I used to revive old amps and radios. I love that time of my life. Keep on experimenting, one day you will look back at this time with a smile.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...