Newbie wants to upgrade stock head unit - Please help!

fukinay

I used to have a decent German car with a great Alpine deck and Diamond Audio speakers. I spent about $1,000 for everything. The sound was phenomenal. But, that was back in 2002. I used to make more money and have fewer responsibilities, so I could afford to splurge on a car stereo back then. Now, I bought a used (but mint condition and low mileage) year 2000 BMW 3 series with stock stereo. I want to first replace the head unit then maybe down the road upgrade the speakers to something like Bavsound Stage 1.

Anyway, because of my experience with Alpine and that I have a German car again, I have an emotional attachment to the brand, although I keep hearing "Alpine is not what it used to be. Others, especially Pioneer have surpassed it." I remember the sound system I had was a bit on the "bright" side - the opposite of warm. The older I get, I prefer a detailed yet still somewhat warm sound. I'm not sure if Alpine sounds bright in general or if it was the aluminum Diamond Audio tweeters. The "time alignment" feature was amazing. So, although I'm attached to Alpine (love the looks of them too), I'm open to other brands if I can be persuaded. Here is my criteria of things I most important and least important:

MUST HAVE:

- single DIN design

- under $250 (preferably under $200)

- excellent sound quality (this is perhaps my #1 criteria after price)

- easy to play and navigate iPod, iPhone, iPad, USB memory stick

- easy navigation

- beautiful minimalist design without flashing lights, animations, and changing colors

- a dimmer option (I hate bright stereo lights at night and dim one in the day)

- expandability so I can upgrade the speakers and possibly add a subwoofer in the future)

NICE TO HAVE:

- CD player (I still have a lot of CDs from long ago)

- good EQ (I leave settings flat 80% of the time), but sometimes make minor adjustments

- time alignment (although this feature might only be available on more expensive units)

- Bluetooth connectivity (but may rarely use this)

- blue lights / LED / LCD. I don't care for red or green or purple. I like blue.

DON'T NEED:

- satellite radio

- phone calling integration, built-in mic, etc.

- SIRI or voice services

- Pandora, Spotify services (maybe I'll change my mind, but I don't have an unlimited data plan)

I HATE:

- the ugly flashy designs of most newer car stereos

Lastly, please recommend me a unit I can find on either Amazon, Crutchfield or most conveniently on Best Buy as they have a free installation deal until this Saturday in my area. If you have a suggestion or recommendation, please tell me why and some details such as the exact model number as opposed to a "Go with Pioneer! You won't regret it!" type of response. Thanks in advance!

Kenwood generally offers the most features for the buck. This one I think has everything you want, even time alignment. I've never owned a Kenwood deck, so can't speak to its sound quality. I know some people are pretty happy with them and they cost less than comparable Pioneer and Alpine units.

Amazon.com : Kenwood KDC-BT958HD CD Receiver with Built-In Bluetooth & HD Radio : Car Electronics

If you want a solid deck, but no time alignment, here's a Pioneer:

Pioneer DEH-X8700BH CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood generally offers the most features for the buck. This one I think has everything you want, even time alignment. I've never owned a Kenwood deck, so can't speak to its sound quality. I know some people are pretty happy with them and they cost less than comparable Pioneer and Alpine units.
Amazon.com : Kenwood KDC-BT958HD CD Receiver with Built-In Bluetooth & HD Radio : Car Electronics

If you want a solid deck, but no time alignment, here's a Pioneer:

Pioneer DEH-X8700BH CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Both units look great. But, there seem to be A LOT of negative reviews of the Kenwood's cumbersome interface and dangerous to use while driving as a result. Only one reply? :-/

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Any Alpine recommendations? :-/

i liked my Pioner DEH HD5600 or something like that, not sure it meats all your wants, but it was a great HU when i had it, only 2 pairs of pre outs though

Both units look great. But, there seem to be A LOT of negative reviews of the Kenwood's cumbersome interface and dangerous to use while driving as a result. Only one reply? :-/ 

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Any Alpine recommendations? :-/
If you don't need time alignment, go with Pioneer. Alpine is good, but for the same price I'd go with Pioneer. If you expand the system later, you can get something of the AudioControl variety to get time alignment or a DSP.

I love my alpine. It's the cde 164. Just came out in January. You won't find too many reviews because of that though. Pretty much does everything you want. Look up 5 car stereo on YouTube. Those guys go through all the features it has.

I love my alpine. It's the cde 164. Just came out in January. You won't find too many reviews because of that though. Pretty much does everything you want. Look up 5 car stereo on YouTube. Those guys go through all the features it has.
Looks good although a bit cluttered / busy looking. I like the minimalist design of this one:

Alpine CDE-143BT

What do you guys think?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.