Newbie looking for the best budget system.

Klutz

Ok, so basically I am brand new to the whole idea of putting a system in a car. I am looking for something to make all my friends at my high school envy me for no more than 700 dollars. If possible I want at least 2 12" subs and 2 10" subs. If not possible then I just want 2 12" or bigger subs. Also obviously a nice amp or two for all of it.

Concentrate on a really good amp first, before you look at subs. CT Sounds Stratos, American Bass XFL, PowerBass 3XL, all very nicely priced subs that will surely make your friends turn a head! The most important thing when doing an install, is the enclosure. You can have $2000 worth of subs/amps and if you are using the wrong box, it will sound like poo! Get two 12's that are priced at like $120ea., then use the rest of the cash for a custom enclosure, a good amp and some good 1/0ga. wiring. If you don't have a head unit already, $700 may be a little low for what you're looking for.

Yes. Luckily I did a pontiac transport that got pretty loud for cheap a year or so ago. I might have some parts to help you left over. I could lead you to a decent beginners system that would sound ok for about 700. It could get pretty loud. It could get you by for sure.

Stock head unit won't be much good. You COULD run a line converter and use it, but your input signal will most likely be distorted. Decent head units can be had for pretty cheap. Pioneer makes great head units at a very low price, that are good for beginners and have nice features. Make sure which ever head unit you purchase has a dedicated sub preout.... Stay away from cheap brands, Boss, VR3, Pyle, etc. You will need all the power/ground wiring, RCA's, remote wire, speaker wire, etc. For $700, I would find a combo on eBay or something, as you probably have no box building experience, plus the combos come with everything. Again, stay away from cheap brands. I can look around quick for some decent combos....

Stock head unit won't be much good. You COULD run a line converter and use it, but your input signal will most likely be distorted. Decent head units can be had for pretty cheap. Pioneer makes great head units at a very low price, that are good for beginners and have nice features. Make sure which ever head unit you purchase has a dedicated sub preout.... Stay away from cheap brands, Boss, VR3, Pyle, etc. You will need all the power/ground wiring, RCA's, remote wire, speaker wire, etc. For $700, I would find a combo on eBay or something, as you probably have no box building experience, plus the combos come with everything. Again, stay away from cheap brands. I can look around quick for some decent combos....
I got my wiring kit from sonic for about 60 I think. Stinger. It's a 4 gauge but a 0 gauge shouldn't be too much more

This will depend on whether or not you are having a box built or going with prefab. If you do not want to build a box or have one built, prefab ported boxes are almost never the right size/tuning for your subs and vehicle. Sealed enclosures can get very loud and yield nice SQ.

2 Rockford Fosgate P3D2 12 12" 2400W Car Subwoofers SEALED Sub Enclosure Box 080687324699 | eBay

That^ is a good deal and them P3's really get down, with a very clean sound and a broad frequency spectrum. You could have them 12's, a good amp, a good HU and all of your wiring for $700 or under and it would sound great! You could get louder with that $700, but that would involve a custom ported enclosure and more time. And no, never mix subwoofers at all unless they are the same size/brand/model.

I got my wiring kit from sonic for about 60 I think. Stinger. It's a 4 gauge but a 0 gauge shouldn't be too much more
OMG, someone with the same amp as me! lol..... And yea, wiring kits are pretty cheap. Copper clad aluminum is cheaper and performs better if you ask me.

Ok I can tell you that unless you are buying used equipment $700 will not get you what your wanting. What these guys hasn't mentioned as that you'll need a custom box as well

So i give you a reasonabl break down

Deck $150-300. Amp $200-$500 sub or subs. $150- $400 each wiring $60+. Box $200+ Dash kit / harness could be $150. So here's $1000 system that's decent now if you buy used. You might get into the $700 area. But you still need to install it to

Ok I can tell you that unless you are buying used equipment $700 will not get you what your wanting. What these guys hasn't mentioned as that you'll need a custom box as well So i give you a reasonabl break down

Deck $150-300. Amp $200-$500 sub or subs. $150- $400 each wiring $60+. Box $200+ Dash kit / harness could be $150. So here's $1000 system that's decent now if you buy used. You might get into the $700 area. But you still need to install it to
That's what I was trying to explain to him, a custom box is a MUST if he is going ported for SPL. If he does not feel like screwing with having a box built, I would say sealed would be his best bet with that little money.

He could put a decent 1200w class D amp on them P3's, with a decent Pioneer head unit and some 1/0ga. for $700..... I did forget the wiring harness, them can be expensive depending on the vehicle. Sadly, when starting from scratch, $700 isn't much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.