Newbie looking for some advice.

HBoB
10+ year member

USA
I'm currently waiting to get my Pioneer Deh-p6000 headunit back from being repaired (ribbon cable went bad on it) and in the mean time i figured i needed some advice on what to do to the rest of my system. I've been using the stock speakers in my 91 Buick Regal. My regal has stock 4" speakers up front in the dash and 6x9s in the rear. They sound like total crap (they sound muddy and don't take the loud settin on the headunit well). I'm really new to this whole car audio thing, so I need some suggestion on what to replace my current speakers with. I basicly need some suggestions on what brands i should look for, what kind of setup u guys recomend for my car. I like some boom while at the same time i like my setup to sound clean if that makes sense. I figure my price range for the short term is around $250-300. So try to keep it around there, but if there is something really worth saving up for i could wait a few months with my old speakers. Thanks for any help.

Seeing as how you have a pretty good deck already. I would start by adding a single sub, and amp. Then replace the speakers later. You can get an adire shiva ( great sound quality, and good output ) and a decent amp for what you want to spend. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i had a similar scenario ... add a sub woofer to your system, but nothing smaller than a 10", the bigger the better, and get the sound'balance' correct with some tweeters. I couldn't believe the difference it made to the exciting speakers ... if you want better sound, you might want to spend slighty more, but it is worth it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i drive a buick regal too!!! i thought i was the only unfortunate one that is rollin around with a system in a 94 buick regal. The good thing is that it has a BIG trunk, so lots of room to get a big enclosure built for it.

I would personally replace the interior speakers first. That way you get some good SQ. I dont liek the way some people have systems that all you hear is the bass with no mids or high, I htihnk mids and highs are the most important part of a good sounding system. If I were you I would get a pair of infinity Kappa 6x9s then I would replace the front 4" speakers. Then think about a sub and amp. That way when you do get your subs goind. It will wound great all around, and until you get them going too it wil still sound **** good.

I've been hearing from some of my friends that i should get a seperate amp to power my speakers not use the internal amp in my headunit. Are they full of it or is it best to use the preouts and power the speakers off a amp? Anyways keep the suggestions coming. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just get Infinity Kappa's and you wont need to amp them with your headunit. Don't worry about a sub right away unless u want to spend more. None the less with just the Kappa upgrade youll like it enough to save for a sub.

Well i went looking around Infinity's site today, wanted to know what people thought of these speakers... KAPPA42.5I (4" 2-way speakers for my front) and KAPPA693.5I (6x9 3-way speakers for my rears). Would these be ok off my headunit? And for reference later if i want to go with a sub and amp, what are some good makes. I'm not overly concerned with how loud this will get, i just want a smooth, natural and clean sound.

Yes the Kappa's will be fine with your headunit. If you just want a simple setup you can keep up the Infinity system and go with 2 Kappa Perfects, or I've found from use that Audiobahn Natural Sound 12s kick some ass and don't need to be powered THAT highly, and yet give very very nice sound and spl for price.

So you think that those kappas have reasonably good sq and will still get a bit of lowend bump? Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to car audio and I am trying to get a setup to last for a while and that can be added to down the road.

on the amp for 6x9's question...

no need to get a amp for 6x9's if you run it from your headunit ... but if you add a amp, it does make a difference. then, if you want to go the amp route, but a decent amp, something you can use for some time ... i will suggest, that you get nothing less than a 4 channel amp ... thus, you can always connect more to it as money comes your way ... don't waste money on cheap amps, if you are going to a buy a amp, buy a good one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif more of my 2cents worth of advice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well ty guys for your suggestions, I think i'm going with the kappas i asked about above. If anyone else has a suggestion, feel free to share it cause its going to be about a week b4 i order my new speakers. Also, if someone could tell me a good place to order them from that would be cool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.