Newbie here - can someone please help me decide on proper components for my system

Participant count
  • Participant list

spidr-

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the car audio system scene-- I'm all honesty I don't know much about anything when it comes to picking out amps, speakers, subs, watts, ohm and all that stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated. I had a system installed in my old car but it just something I picked off the shelf at BestBuy and had them install it.

I just bought a 2015 Ford Edge Sport Edition and wanted to install a system in it. I do have two amps that I took from my old car and they are listed as follows:

1. Alpine MRP-F300 (this was powering the speakers)

2. Alpine MRP-M500 (this was powering one 10" sub)

The sound in my old system was good, not great. There wasn't a whole lot of bass and the highs/mids were decent but couldn't been a little louder.

My question(s):

1. What would be the best way to incorporate these two amps in to my new system?

2. If I want a louder and more crisp sound, should I use these two amps to power my subs and then purchase two more amps for the from and rear speakers?

2. Ideally (now that I have a larger vehicle) I'd like to have a larger (or more) subs. Would I be looking for a 12" enclosure or maybe two 10"? I'm not sure.

3. Speakers - how do I know what speakers are compatible (power handling) with the amps I currently have or if I choose to purchase two new amps for the speakers?

4. Generally what is a good (loud/crisp) wattage that an amp should be able to power for each channel?

5. If I buy another amp that has 500w of total output to 4 channels, how exactly does it work? Will my speakers need to be 125w speakers to be able to handle that amp? If I purchase two additional 500w amps (for example) and want to power my rear speakers with one amp and the fronts with the other, will i need 250w speakers to get the best sound?

I know this might seem all over the place, if someone can just give me a quick explanation of how to match the speaker wattage with the amps, as well as the amp wattage to the subs and how they work together for peak performance that would be nice, at least then I'd have an idea of what I'm looking for because right now I'm looking at a 500w amp and have no idea if the speakers that im looking at which are 40w (or whatever) will be enough or overkill.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.