Newbie Help for HU

Rockin Randall
10+ year member

I recently put in my Honda Odyssey a Eclipse 1200 with Eclipse $180 speakers and I am fairly happy. I spent extra 200 to put in bluetooth(Alpine unit which works good) and now with my Maxima I want to put in a hu based on the following criteria

1- Sound. I tend to like flat response(one part of the soundwave messed with to create a short term illusion of great sound would be the opposite of this)

2- I want IPOD control. The 1200 is ok but with one line of text and an average display and mediocre buttons and no remote it could be better

3-Sirius Sportster. I have this instead of the factory unit inside for a few reasons. First i don't want to pay two subscriptions and I can take this back and forth between my 2 cars. Second I like that I can pause as I drive a lot and get business calls and like to be able to stop and start like a tivo. However the sound isn't as great as my IPOD on my 1200 and i have been told that part of the reason is the 1200 doesn't have a digital converter so I would like a unit that has a 24 bit converter IF it will help my sound on IPOD and Sportster Sirius

4-Bluetooth. I could always pay to add it like i did with HOnda but it would be nice if it was included. But if the included bluetooth wont sound better than the Alpine i have in my Honda then I would just as soon pay seperate as what good is it if it doesn't sound good and clear

5- Of course once i figure things out the best price would be nice.

The units I am looking at are as follows

Alpine 9886.9887/ID105

Kenwood Excelon 993(not much feedback on this one at Crutchfield or anywhere else)

Eclipse new 5030

Also open to other suggestions.

Detailed responses to help a newbie who has done a good bit of homework would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.

BTW on the eclipse 5030 their site says no advanced 24 bit dac but crutchfield new catalog says it has a 24 bit converter. More info on how this works would be appreciated

Also if it helps you to understand how i like to listen to sound I have B&W speakers with conrad johnson amp in my house. Would be considered very neutral but clear sound

eclipse or Pioneer Premier new alpines transport mechanism hates lots of bass and they haven't made a real deck since the 981x series IMO. at least not for the build quality and what they cost. the 9886/9887 has some cool features but the quality is less than what they were 5 yrs ago.

eclipse or Pioneer Premier new alpines transport mechanism hates lots of bass and they haven't made a real deck since the 981x series IMO. at least not for the build quality and what they cost. the 9886/9887 has some cool features but the quality is less than what they were 5 yrs ago.
Do you sell the Eclipse? I didn't think the pioneer sound was very good when i tested for the 1200 eclipse i bought.

Any thoughts on my other points?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.