New to the CarAudio scene.. Need some experienced help

Dr.Acula

Hello, Im an music producer so I know about sound and im an audiophile myself. I do know alot about speakers but NOTHING about car audio lol. And I really want to learn more about car audio and this forum I think is a good starting place.

I have a 1999 Grand am and plan to install:

Pioneer Radio

Dual 1,100 Watt illuminated subwoofer

Pyle 1,400 Watt Amp PLA2200

And I'm looking for some 6x9's and 4x6's to finish the system, but I still need to know what wiring kit I should buy and by the looks of the 1,400 watt amp and the 1,100 watt sub plus 4 speakers I'll need another amp. I'm willing to just buy a 2,000 watt amp or would I be better to buy a lower watt amp and bridge it? I dont know too much about car speakers and none of this stuff is installed so I was hoping for some help or recommendations as to what I should buy and what I should do.

Thanks

Hello, Im an music producer so I know about sound and im an audiophile myself. I do know alot about speakers but NOTHING about car audio lol. And I really want to learn more about car audio and this forum I think is a good starting place.

Pioneer Radio

And I'm looking for some 6x9's and 4x6's to finish the system, but I still need to know what wiring kit I should buy and by the looks of the 1,400 watt amp and the 1,100 watt sub plus 4 speakers I'll need another amp. I'm willing to just buy a 2,000 watt amp or would I be better to buy a lower watt amp and bridge it? I dont know too much about car speakers and none of this stuff is installed so I was hoping for some help or recommendations as to what I should buy and what I should do.

Thanks
I'm gonna let you finish, but if you consider yourself an audiophile, that is not being reflected in your choice of equipment! That's okay though, that's what we're here for.

Those subs and that amp are a far cry from anything resembling a SQ system.

Two biggest questions you should ask yourself right now are what is your budget and what your system goals are.

Pioneer Radio

Thanks
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Well I guess audiophile as far as Studio equipment =/ ....Told you I didnt really know a thing about car audio. With my current budget I realize I cant get studio quality sound, but Im trying to at least understand the concept and get my system up and running before I experiment with different subs and speakers.

Again, I know NOTHING about car Audio so I need some help here, definitely starting off at the lowest tier of car audio.

Well I guess audiophile as far as Studio equipment =/ ....Told you I didnt really know a thing about car audio. With my current budget I realize I cant get studio quality sound, but Im trying to at least understand the concept and get my system up and running before I experiment with different subs and speakers.Again, I know NOTHING about car Audio so I need some help here, definitely starting off at the lowest tier of car audio.
Like I said, throw out a budget and what you want out of your system. From there we can give you suggestions.

Also, are you comfortable installing your own gear and are you able to build your own box? If not, that is going to be a significant portion of your budget.

I've been doing alot of research and came across too many answers where you would already need to have a good amount of car audio knowledge. My current budget is very low, a couple hundred (For Now). I do know someone who can install the stereo, subs and amp, my main question is that everthing adds up to over 1,400 watts which my amp "Should" have so should I get a smaller amp to bridge it or just get a whole new amp around 2,000 watts?

I've been doing alot of research and came across too many answers where you would already need to have a good amount of car audio knowledge. My current budget is very low, a couple hundred (For Now). I do know someone who can install the stereo, subs and amp, my main question is that everthing adds up to over 1,400 watts which my amp "Should" have so should I get a smaller amp to bridge it or just get a whole new amp around 2,000 watts?
That pyle amp won't even make 700w. I know your budget isn't that much, but consider this.

Precision Power PPI S550.1D (S5501D) Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp

powering two of these...

(NEW) Street Duty SDC2.0-12-D4 Subwoofer

that's just under $300. You'd just have to make yourself a box, which is 50ish dollars for wood, screws, and glue. I feel like this system would sound a lot better than the fake rating amp and 1/8'' plexi bandpass box.

It's a good thing it's no where close to 1400 watts man. You're in the under 500 watt range.

So scrap the old amp or bridge this one you recommend with the pyle? I just want to have my current subs at full power so I can listen to them fully, then I'll probably swap them for the ones you recommended if Im not too happy. All I'm saying is the subs can come later since I already have a pair (even though they're probably crap), but I definitely need this amp situation worked out so I can at least power everything fully before I decide to upgrade the subs and speakers.

Its looking real similar to Studio audio as far as what brands to stay away from, never would've though that a 1,400 watt amp can only put out 700 watts. Guess I got some learning to do.

That pyle amp won't even make 700w. I know your budget isn't that much, but consider this.
Precision Power PPI S550.1D (S5501D) Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp

powering two of these...

(NEW) Street Duty SDC2.0-12-D4 Subwoofer

that's just under $300. You'd just have to make yourself a box, which is 50ish dollars for wood, screws, and glue. I feel like this system would sound a lot better than the fake rating amp and 1/8'' plexi bandpass box.

So scrap the old amp or bridge this one you recommend with the pyle? I just want to have my current subs at full power so I can listen to them fully, then I'll probably swap them for the ones you recommended if Im not too happy. All I'm saying is the subs can come later since I already have a pair (even though they're probably crap), but I definitely need this amp situation worked out so I can at least power everything fully before I decide to upgrade the subs and speakers.
Its looking real similar to Studio audio as far as what brands to stay away from, never would've though that a 1,400 watt amp can only put out 700 watts. Guess I got some learning to do.
Never look at max power and if they show max power on the amp stay away from it. Rms is what you look at as long as its s respectable brand.

yea thats it >=/ ....So im guessing I should just get a new one huh?? can you explain the difference between RMS and peak cause peak seems like its a useless number only used to makes amps look better than they are

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.