Quick question.

Participant count
  • Participant list

CFader

LA
Hey Guys,

Well I decided that I am going to end up purchasing AB ph4100 fr 4 ch for my door speakers. My concern is that i'm already running an amp at 400 rms with 8 gauge wire, and if I hook up the AB amp with another 8 gauge wire to a Stinger distribution block would I be starving the amps? I was searching online, but it seemed to be a 50/50 on whether 8 gauge is good enough or not. Therefore, should I upgrade my wires to 4 gauge?

Depends on your wire. If it's not true 8ga OFC wire, then yes you'll need to upgrade. If you are running true gauge OFC wire, just make sure you have an appropriate size fuse for your wire. both of those amps at maximum amperage draw will only **** ~35a 8ga OFC can handle 50a, so you have headroom.

Like I said though, if you're using copper clad aluminum wire, you're going to need to upgrade.

Man that *****. The wires say they are compliant to AWG standars for 8 ga, but says nothing about being ofc. They are Rockford Fosgate wires, but I can't seem to find them online. I got the wires from the person that did my installation. Then again, I can't really complain because he gave them to me for free.

Man that *****. The wires say they are compliant to AWG standars for 8 ga, but says nothing about being ofc. They are Rockford Fosgate wires, but I can't seem to find them online. I got the wires from the person that did my installation. Then again, I can't really complain because he gave them to me for free.
If it's RF wire, it's OFC

What size fuse do you have in-line?

I don't really know what fuse size it is, but I'll try to find out tomorrow. Also wouldn't the wires be labeled ofc if they were ofc? I now that they are wires from 2006 don't know if that is relevant. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I don't really know what fuse size it is, but I'll try to find out tomorrow. Also wouldn't the wires be labeled ofc if they were ofc? I now that they are wires from 2006 don't know if that is relevant. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
If you have any kind of a power wire running from your battery to you amp, you should have a fuse(hopefully attached near the battery) in there to prevent you from burning your wires and setting your car on fire.

Oh I know what it is and where it is, but i don't know the size of the fuse. I'd figure it was too dark to go outside and try to read the size.

So If I am going to be running 2 400 rms amps what kind of fuse size should I have?
Your amps should be internally fused, if they're not it's a big deal, and can fuse them if you like, it's not essential.

However, the fuse coming off of your battery should be fused A) within a few feet of the battery and B) to the maximum recommended amperage draw for your wire, in the case of 8ga, a 50a fuse should protect the wire from overdrawing current and burning the line.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.