New to forums questions about audio setup!

Ok, I get the subs. Looking at their site.. they look legit. on sale for like 200 each right now too for the 12's. The build time wait is kinda sadface tho
You would recommend an amp for the other interior speakers? thats what I assume the PPI is for..

As for the amp.. wouldn't the R1200-1D work just fine with those FU audio subs?

And what to do about a box?
I got my sub way quicker than the wait time indicated. And the 900.4 is for the mids, yes.

Jeff is right about the box, the right one is gonna be huge, but the payoff is that you get better sound and more volume than a small crappy one. Sub amps, I dunno. I'd just buy a good used one from a reputable seller on here.

Also, if you're on a budget, royale excelene is a good bargain. 1.85 a foot for 1/0

1/0 CCI ROYAL EXCELENE WELDING CABLE RED

I would hope I have enough space for 2 12's, which is kinda where I would like to stick(mainly because I have no experience with anything else)I was looking through the forums, and it looks like there's some good resources here for people who make/design boxes.. I'm sure I can work something out with someone once I have proper dimensions for my trunkspace.

I was actually debating that. I was on the fence about just going 0ga, but I didn't wanna oversize the wiring for what I needed...
A proper box for two 12s will literally be 1.75 times the size of your old box Its a lot more space taken up then you think it is, never underestimate the space needed for a proper enclosure. The size of your old enclosure was just good enough for a single 12, not even a 15.

This is your best choice for wire. OFC copper quality at CCA pricing. 2/0

Its best to run 0 gauge now and save your self the hassle of burnt wires later.

A proper box for two 12s will literally be 1.75 times the size of your old box Its a lot more space taken up then you think it is, never underestimate the space needed for a proper enclosure. The size of your old enclosure was just good enough for a single 12, not even a 15.
This is your best choice for wire. OFC copper quality at CCA pricing. 2/0

Its best to run 0 gauge now and save your self the hassle of burnt wires later.
So, i'm confused then. What you are pretty much indicating is that there is no way to fit a "proper" box in the trunk of a car then. So from what you say, there should never be 2 12's in a cars trunk due to box size limitations.

The previous box I had was big, and fit. However, there is no way in hell i'm fitting a box that's 1.75x it's size.. unless it's built in the trunk.

So, i'm confused then. What you are pretty much indicating is that there is no way to fit a "proper" box in the trunk of a car then. So from what you say, there should never be 2 12's in a cars trunk due to box size limitations.The previous box I had was big, and fit. However, there is no way in hell i'm fitting a box that's 1.75x it's size.. unless it's built in the trunk.
Well, IF there is absolutely no way in hell you're fitting a box that was 1.75x the size of the last one, then you can't fit an optimal box for 2 12's in your trunk. You'll have to check the recommended airspace of the subs you're going to buy, and get someone like cscstang to build the box and give him the max dimensions you can fit. Just because lots of people put 2 12's in their small trunks doesn't mean anything, only that some are ignorant on the facts of car audio. I can't fit most 2x12's in my trunk either. I can just barely fit an sa-15. If you saw any car audio enthusiast's box in person you'd see they need to be pretty big. The sundown zv3 series can use slightly smaller boxes though, you could maybe just barely fit 2 12's of those but they're like $500 each. You can probably fit a zv3 15 no problem though.

Edit:

BTW, I can vouch for the ppi p900.4. It'll be perfect for anything you could possibly want to do. And I have a kicker zx1000.1 amp that I'll sell for $180 if I can figure out how to package it up and sell it lol. Never sold anything online before

Well, IF there is absolutely no way in hell you're fitting a box that was 1.75x the size of the last one, then you can't fit an optimal box for 2 12's in your trunk. You'll have to check the recommended airspace of the subs you're going to buy, and get someone like cscstang to build the box and give him the max dimensions you can fit. Just because lots of people put 2 12's in their small trunks doesn't mean anything, only that some are ignorant on the facts of car audio. I can't fit most 2x12's in my trunk either. I can just barely fit an sa-15. If you saw any car audio enthusiast's box in person you'd see they need to be pretty big. The sundown zv3 series can use slightly smaller boxes though, you could maybe just barely fit 2 12's of those but they're like $500 each. You can probably fit a zv3 15 no problem though.
Edit:

BTW, I can vouch for the ppi p900.4. It'll be perfect for anything you could possibly want to do. And I have a kicker zx1000.1 amp that I'll sell for $180 if I can figure out how to package it up and sell it lol. Never sold anything online before
So.. lets take a box the size of what I had or so. 34x15x15. Take an inch from each for wood, 33x14x14. That's 3.75 ft^3.

So if I say, get two of the FU Audio 750 series 12's, in a box.. the owners manual shows a 1.75-2 ft^3 requirement. If you aimed for 2 ft^3 per speaker, thats not that much bigger then what I had...

Correct me if i'm wrong?

So, i'm confused then. What you are pretty much indicating is that there is no way to fit a "proper" box in the trunk of a car then. So from what you say, there should never be 2 12's in a cars trunk due to box size limitations.The previous box I had was big, and fit. However, there is no way in hell i'm fitting a box that's 1.75x it's size.. unless it's built in the trunk.
Basically yes. if you want quality bass, you need space. A proper box for a 12 inch needs 1.75 to 2.5 cubic feet of usable airspace for each 12. Around 2 cubic feet in general. Thats after subtracting the space the sub takes up and the port takes up and the port takes up a lot of space, more than you would think. People always underestimate how much space their port takes up.

Look at these designs to get a feel of what can fit and what cant. Most likely you'll have space for a single 15 which only needs 3.5 cubic feet to 4.5 cubic feet.

*OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum

So.. lets take a box the size of what I had or so. 34x15x15. Take an inch from each for wood, 33x14x14. That's 3.75 ft^3. So if I say, get two of the FU Audio 750 series 12's, in a box.. the owners manual shows a 1.75-2 ft^3 requirement. If you aimed for 2 ft^3 per speaker, thats not that much bigger then what I had...

Correct me if i'm wrong?
You had a box that was false advertising in the biggest sense. After subtracting wood thickness you only had 3.2 cubic feet of airspace. After port and subwoofer displacement you have less than 1.2 cubic feet of USUABLE(NET) airspace PER subwoofer which is tiny and will strangle most legit subs on the market. Strangle as in, you'll most likely only get 10-30% of output potential out of the sub. Thats the problem with pre-fab boxes. They lie on their specs and create an illusion of how much people think they can fit in their trunks.

So.. lets take a box the size of what I had or so. 34x15x15. Take an inch from each for wood, 33x14x14. That's 3.75 ft^3. So if I say, get two of the FU Audio 750 series 12's, in a box.. the owners manual shows a 1.75-2 ft^3 requirement. If you aimed for 2 ft^3 per speaker, thats not that much bigger then what I had...

Correct me if i'm wrong?
If you're interested I have a minty sq 2200 I can let go for a decent price.

Just an offer. Also, that wire Jeff suggested is excellent. I believe it's cheaper on ebay with free shipping though.

Perhaps you could go with two 10's? Two HDS210's would be great on about 2k watts. I run two hds208's on 2k and they love it.

Correct me if i'm wrong?
After port and everything it will be waaaay too little space. Just trust us, we know how this works man and some of us have many years of experience with this

See, now i'm extremely conflicted. The trunk of the car has 11ft^3 of cargo space according to specs. However, and this is where measurements would help, it's obviously not a square.

I'm not adverse to having to remove the rear seat to install a box.. but the entrance to the trunk itself is on the smaller side.

I'm so used to 2 12's that's all I can wrap my head around. I just can't get into the mindframe that a single 12 would be good enough. I can't attest to 15's never having had one.

After port and everything it will be waaaay too little space. Just trust us, we know how this works man and some of us have many years of experience with this
Oh, i'm not doubting you in the slightest. I'm just trying to either draw it out or picture it in my head.

See, now i'm extremely conflicted. The trunk of the car has 11ft^3 of cargo space according to specs. However, and this is where measurements would help, it's obviously not a square. I'm not adverse to having to remove the rear seat to install a box.. but the entrance to the trunk itself is on the smaller side.

I'm so used to 2 12's that's all I can wrap my head around. I just can't get into the mindframe that a single 12 would be good enough. I can't attest to 15's never having had one.

Oh, i'm not doubting you in the slightest. I'm just trying to either draw it out or picture it in my head.
A single good 12 or 15 in a proper box will utterly demolish your old setup and blow them out of the water hands down. Actually even a single 8" hds208 in a T-line box will destroy your old setup.

This is a video of a guy we helped out a couple of months ago. He was used to having kicker L7 12s in a prefab box as his old setup. This new setup blew that old setup out of the water. Its only one single 12" sub

Compared to what you had anyway, 1 FU 12 in the proper ported enclosure will **** near rip your car in half. A 15 on 1000 watts or so can be so loud you can feel the pressure in the car making it difficult to breathe. Lungs vibrating hard. Eye sockets vibrating so hard your vision is blurred. Ear drums flexing painfully at times. etc etc

Compared to what you had anyway, 1 FU 12 in the proper ported enclosure will **** near rip your car in half. A 15 on 1000 watts or so can be so loud you can feel the pressure in the car making it difficult to breathe. Lungs vibrating hard. Eye sockets vibrating so hard your vision is blurred. Ear drums flexing painfully at times. etc etc
Ok, so operating on the single 15 vs dual 12 setup..

Would you say a single 15 FU750(thats 750watt rms) or a single 15 FU1800SPL15(1800watt rms) ?

The only amp we have really talked about is the fosgate R1200-1D, but i'm not set on it.

Wouldn't the 1000watts be overkill for the 750 series and underkill for the 1800?

Ok, so operating on the single 15 vs dual 12 setup.. Would you say a single 15 FU750(thats 750watt rms) or a single 15 FU1800SPL15(1800watt rms) ?

The only amp we have really talked about is the fosgate R1200-1D, but i'm not set on it.

Wouldn't the 1000watts be overkill for the 750 series and underkill for the 1800?
For the 750, a 1500 watt amp would be perfect, just set the gain so there is no clipping. I don't have any experience with the 1800 but if you have stock electrical you might as well go with the 750 since you won't be able to use more than 1500 watts or so anyway. If you are upgrading electrical get a soundqubed hdc4 15, or a zv3 15 if you won't be able to fit the hdc4, or if you can fit 4 ft^3 plus port (to figure this out, get some box builder that will be building the box for you to model for it and give him your available dimensions) then get a zv3 18. And a 3-5 kW amp. That is if you want something that will just be extreme overkill, for fun

Rated power with the good brands is under rated and likely represents clamped power (power after impedance rise). An amp that does 1500 watts will only really be giving the sub like 2/3 of that at the very most. Sometimes, especially around the resonant frequency, not even 1/4. At max volume. The sundown sa-15 is rated for 600 watts and we've found they actually max out on xmax at around 1400 watts CLAMPED power. So you can use an amp that does many times the rated power and usually be fine if it's clean power

For the 750, a 1500 watt amp would be perfect, just set the gain so there is no clipping. I don't have any experience with the 1800 but if you have stock electrical you might as well go with the 750 since you won't be able to use more than 1500 watts or so anyway. If you are upgrading electrical get a soundqubed hdc4 15, or a zv3 15 if you won't be able to fit the hdc4, or if you can fit 4 ft^3 plus port (to figure this out, get some box builder that will be building the box for you to model for it and give him your available dimensions) then get a zv3 18. And a 3-5 kW amp. That is if you want something that will just be extreme overkill, for fun
Rated power with the good brands is under rated and likely represents clamped power (power after impedance rise). An amp that does 1500 watts will only really be giving the sub like 2/3 of that at the very most. Sometimes, especially around the resonant frequency, not even 1/4. At max volume. The sundown sa-15 is rated for 600 watts and we've found they actually max out on xmax at around 1400 watts CLAMPED power. So you can use an amp that does many times the rated power and usually be fine if it's clean power
Thank you very much for the information.

So, assuming i'm going the single 15 route... and stick with an FU 750 15".. Looking at *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum

I could do a 3ft^3 box @ 30 hz(the sub asks for 2.5-3.75) and still be close to the dimensions of my last box.

37x17x17 or so.

Now.. would 3ft^3 be ok on that? or should I try and aim for that 3.75 max??

Then, that leads to what amp to get!... which will also be a fun learning experience.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.