New to car audio, suggest some subs for me please :-)

Participant count
  • Participant list

kabosh
10+ year member

I am pretty new to car audio, so I would just like some sub woofer suggestions for my situation. I have a BRZ1200 that i was using to push a 12" L7 at 2 ohms. I want to get a new sub and push it at 1 ohm. I have been arguing with my self about 3 subs, fi ssd, Q, and BL. My budget is pretty much between 450-500 for the sub and custom box. I am looking for something that bangs atleast as hard as my L7 but cleaner. Thats pretty much it. All suggestions are welcome :)

Also I have no plans on replacing my sub at the moment, but most likely in the future, so getting a sub that could handle more if I wanted couldnt hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty new to car audio, so I would just like some sub woofer suggestions for my situation. I have a BRZ1200 that i was using to push a 12" L7 at 2 ohms. I want to get a new sub and push it at 1 ohm. I have been arguing with my self about 3 subs, fi ssd, Q, and BL. My budget is pretty much between 450-500 for the sub and custom box. I am looking for something that bangs atleast as hard as my L7 but cleaner. Thats pretty much it. All suggestions are welcome :)
If it is clean bass you want, you would achieve more gains by researching amps bro....look for 2 decimal places in THD and at least a high 3 digit number in Dampening factor..get the power you need at higher ohms so the amp will be more stable and efficient, reduce audible harmonic distortion introduced by the amp(THD) and get more control over the sub(dampening factor)...these will be the most efficient gains you can make to your system...only then will you actually hear the sub as it was designed...as long as the box is right.

I need a new sub, can you give me advice in that department first? I can't afford both at the moment but I will definitely replace my amp in the future. I will most likely post another thread similar to this and hopefully all of what you just said will be explained to me and in terms i can understand ^_^ lol but I do appreciate it.

All 3 of those fi subs are good. Just depends on what your goal is and the application. The Q is a more sq oriented sub. Sundown SA are pretty nice. I have an AA Havoc and I'd highly recommend it but its 1250 watts RMS. The SA are 600 RMS but can take more easily. SSA makes a nice line of subs for a variety of applications. Dc and DD are also great subs. I can give you a long list but it just depends on what you want. What are your goals and how much space do you have? Also, I would highly suggest you buy a nice custom box from perhaps one of the builders on this site such as pro rabbit, Ssteele, mobile enclosures, buck and so on. It'll make a world of a difference if you get the right box. I'd rather have a cheaper sub in the right box then an expensive sub in a cheap box.

I'm having a friend of mine build me a custom box, he owns a car audio shop so I would hope he knows what hes doing. My goals are pretty simple, I want it to bang and shake my car like my L7 did, but sound better if I can help it. I can fit the 2.5 cuft recommended for those subs just fine.

I am just saying, if you are going to spend the money for improved bass response, look to the amp first...you are using one of the dirtiest little amps made....is the Kicker L7 broke?

as an example, the following amp will run at it's highest efficiency at 4 ohms, sure it is labeled as a 2500 watt amp for the same gimmick effect the rest of them advertise nowdays...lol..look at a sundown or any of the other nuthugger amps tauted here...same thing. you L7 would be a perfect match for it at the optimum 4 ohms. the amp would not strain your electrical as much as the one you are using now at 2 ohms...it will have a very low .05% Harmonic Distortion, and a very good dampening factor of 200. How can you be dissatisfied with the sound your sub makes if it is severely limited by the quality of power you feed it?...what? Do you really think any other speaker as going to sound much different?

WoofersEtc.com - Phoenix - Cadence Monoblock 2400W Class D Amplifier

Op, Your amp will be just fine for now. He's said time and time again he's sticking with the amp so its that amp. I'd look into ssa subs, heard good things about them. Think they will be the next thing I run.

Op, Your amp will be just fine for now. He's said time and time again he's sticking with the amp so its that amp. I'd look into ssa subs, heard good things about them. Think they will be the next thing I run.
Actually he said he was researching for a future purchase...He should be informed about the aspects of car audio beforehand, thank you....as far as that goes, his sub will be fine for now, he just needs to give it clean power just like any other sub.

Actually he said he was researching for a future purchase...He should be informed about the aspects of car audio beforehand, thank you....as far as that goes, his sub will be fine for now, he just needs to give it clean power just like any other sub.
Lol, ok buddy. Why dont you read some then too? He's looking for a new sub first to get more power out of his amp by running it at 1 ohm. And since his kicker runs at 2 ohms, he's changing.

So he's on the right track. Increasing power does raise db's. And even upgrading subs, which I will comfortably say ssa's shit on an l7.

Lol, ok buddy. Why dont you read some then too? He's looking for a new sub first to get more power out of his amp by running it at 1 ohm. And since his kicker runs at 2 ohms, he's changing.
So he's on the right track. Increasing power does raise db's. And even upgrading subs, which I will comfortably say ssa's shit on an l7.
um, no, he said he wanted as loud, but sound better...I am explaining to him that dropping the resistance does not make anything sound better, it makes the amp even more unstable, less efficient and increases harmonic distortion to the point of being audible....you are just deceiving him by trying to mask the problem with your own selfish desires.

um, no, he said he wanted as loud, but sound better...I am explaining to him that dropping the resistance does not make anything sound better, it makes the amp even more unstable, less efficient and increases harmonic distortion to the point of being audible....you are just deceiving him by trying to mask the problem with your own selfish desires.
well when you can read I guess we'll listen to you, until then just keep suggesting amps he's not going to buy and we'll move on. And seeings as the L7 is blown like any bass head I'd want to get my bass back. So having that amp I would surely buy a sub way before another amp. So OP I still suggest whatever line of SSA subs that fit the power you have now, or maybe even the power you're looking to buy down the road. They're good loud subs and sound good doing it. Being as you're looking for some loud bang thd% is looked at AS MUCH as if you was going for a more sq sound. My suggestion still stands.

Quack where you at? I'm in S.E. Texas myself right now. I'm not trying to be a ****, just show you my reasoning. I'm suggesting for what the op wanted. Thats what his thread is all about. He needs a sub, I suggested a sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.