Mass
Edit:

I know what sub I'm going to get: SSA DCON 12"

I just need to know...

1. Head or no head?

2. What type of amp?

3. How to build the sub box?

Thanks, any help is really appreciated!

I'm new to car audio, and I'm getting a subwoofer and amp but i need some help before i get them. I want a 12" sub, something like the apline type r, but any other suggestions are welcome. I need an amp, I'm not really sure if you need to get any specific amp for different sizes of subs. And i need a wiring kit, and im not sure if I need any specific wiring kit. Also, i was wondering if i can amp my speakers along with the sub. I want don't want to spend alot of money so please don't suggest expensive equipment. and if there is anything else i need please tell me, and i would like to know the best place to get it wired, or can i do that myself?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to car audio, and I'm getting a subwoofer and amp but i need some help before i get them. I want a 12" sub, something like the apline type r, but any other suggestions are welcome. I need an amp, I'm not really sure if you need to get any specific amp for different sizes of subs. And i need a wiring kit, and im not sure if I need any specific wiring kit. Also, i was wondering if i can amp my speakers along with the sub. I want don't want to spend alot of money so please don't suggest expensive equipment. and if there is anything else i need please tell me, and i would like to know the best place to get it wired, or can i do that myself?
How much money are you looking to spend?

How much money are you looking to spend?
Maximum

Like 200 for a sub and however much a descent amp cost. Im not really sure what good amps there are for what prices. If i got a little more info about what amp to get and if i can amp my speakers along with my sub, i could put a better price.

MaximumLike 200 for a sub and however much a descent amp cost. Im not really sure what good amps there are for what prices. If i got a little more info about what amp to get and if i can amp my speakers along with my sub, i could put a better price.
eh, you're not gonna NEED to amp your door speakers for a single sub under 1000w, you can but it's not necessary.

I'm not going to reccomend anything specific, everyone will be happy to chime in with their own opinions

$200 is a pretty good budget for a single woofer in your first install.

eh, you're not gonna NEED to amp your door speakers for a single sub under 1000w, you can but it's not necessary.
I'm not going to reccomend anything specific, everyone will be happy to chime in with their own opinions

$200 is a pretty good budget for a single woofer in your first install.
I was thinking the alpine r 12" or one of the kicker comps. So lets say i just amp the sub woofer, do i need any specific wire kit and could i wire it myself?

OP do you have the tools to make your own box? it'll be way more worth it to have a custom ported box made for your sub.
SSA Store - SKAR Audio VVX Sub woofer

Sundown Audio SA-12 600 watt sub woofer

SSA Shop - Incriminator Audio 12" Lethal Injection

Street Duty SDC2.5-12-D4 Subwoofer

other options include Digital Designs 1512 and a DC Audio Level 3
Yeah, im pretty handy, i could make my own box and probably wire it. Is it easy to wire? do i need a specific wire kit? and i need an amp also.

Yeah, im pretty handy, i could make my own box and probably wire it. Is it easy to wire? do i need a specific wire kit? and i need an amp also.
wiring up the sub is super simple lol no you don't really need any special wire. just get some 10 gauge speaker wire and you're all set. some people use terminal cups but i just drill a hole and seal it up after i run the wire lol

stay away from the kicker comp and in ur budget much better to be had than type R. some people like em, i was never big on the ones i had. do you need to get a box and sub for $200? or do you know how to build ur own? Also answer a few other things to help us give you the best advice:

What kind of vehicle?

Do you have a head unit?

Are you looking more for sound quality, loudness, or a mix of both?

are you concerned about saving space in ur vehicle or does box size not really matter?

As far as installing, while there can always be tricky spots depending on your vehicle, its really not too hard. Tons of references online to help ya out if ya need. Or ask here. As for wire, id just recommend a 4guage kit. you could get away with 8ga depending on what amp you end up with, but if you do get sumn half way decent or ever wanna upgrade, its just better to have something good to start.

And THere are 3 and 5 channel amps(even some 4 channels work good if you wanna run a sub off rear and hook up front input to components or sumn) to run components and a sub. first answer the other questions and that will help us more to get ya a good sub for what you like. then we can recommend some amps to work well with your setup

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

lol ^^^ 5 posts in the time it took me to type that

stay away from the kicker comp and in ur budget much better to be had than type R. some people like em, i was never big on the ones i had. do you need to get a box and sub for $200? or do you know how to build ur own? Also answer a few other things to help us give you the best advice:
What kind of vehicle?

Do you have a head unit?

Are you looking more for sound quality, loudness, or a mix of both?

are you concerned about saving space in ur vehicle or does box size not really matter?

As far as installing, while there can always be tricky spots depending on your vehicle, its really not too hard. Tons of references online to help ya out if ya need. Or ask here. As for wire, id just recommend a 4guage kit. you could get away with 8ga depending on what amp you end up with, but if you do get sumn half way decent or ever wanna upgrade, its just better to have something good to start.

And THere are 3 and 5 channel amps(even some 4 channels work good if you wanna run a sub off rear and hook up front input to components or sumn) to run components and a sub. first answer the other questions and that will help us more to get ya a good sub for what you like. then we can recommend some amps to work well with your setup

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

lol ^^^ 5 posts in the time it took me to type that
Thanks for responding haha.

What kind of vehicle? toyota corolla

Do you have a head unit? No, i have one that came with the car.

Are you looking more for sound quality, loudness, or a mix of both? I really just want descent quality bass and loudness. so mix, but more loud.

are you concerned about saving space in ur vehicle or does box size not really matter? smaller the better, my car is small, but i have the whole trunk for it to fit in.

Do i need a head unit?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.