New System for 2002 GMC Sierra

cypressjeff

So I am getting rid of the old system and adding new. Here is what I have purchased so far, except for adapter kits and such. I do have a Sub that I will be adding later or I will purchase a new one. My question is which amp do I need? Is the Punch P400x4 a good option? Am I missing anything?

Pioneer AVH-1330NEX 6.2" DVD Receiver

-DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)

Rockford P16S-6-inch Punch 2-way component systems

-power range: 6-60 watts RMS (120 watts peak power)

What size cab? Reg, ext, 4 door?

Do you have a budget?

Do you know of anything else you will want to do, or add?

That's a 4ch amp, and unless you are able to bi-amp those components you only need a 2ch to run them.

That's a double din head unit. Your 02 is only a single din space, unless you have converted it already. If not there are a couple (decent) options. You can buy the Metra DP-3002B double din dash bezel kit, (cheapest place is ebay/sonicelectronix for $130), paint it to match, and then cut the bar out of the way behind the head unit. The other option is to buy the 03-06 radio cradle, bezel, knee bolster, and lower dash, (several hundred to a hundred bucks if you can find the parts from a wrecked truck).

What size cab? Reg, ext, 4 door? Do you have a budget?

Do you know of anything else you will want to do, or add?

That's a 4ch amp, and unless you are able to bi-amp those components you only need a 2ch to run them.

That's a double din head unit. Your 02 is only a single din space, unless you have converted it already. If not there are a couple (decent) options. You can buy the Metra DP-3002B double din dash bezel kit, (cheapest place is ebay/sonicelectronix for $130), paint it to match, and then cut the bar out of the way behind the head unit. The other option is to buy the 03-06 radio cradle, bezel, knee bolster, and lower dash, (several hundred to a hundred bucks if you can find the parts from a wrecked truck).

Extended cab, 2 regular sized doors and 2 small doors. I don't really have a budget. I just want good quality sound at not overly high listening levels. I listen mostly to the Blues and Bluegrass with everything else mixed in. I will add 1 sub in the next 6 months or so. I did buy the Metra DP 3002B. It's possible I may upgrade the speakers for the back seat....but I have not really thought about it.

I would definitely upgrade the rear speakers. They are 4"x6" or 4", and you can usually get a decent pair pretty cheap. If you find a pair that will match to the same wattage, as your components you can run a 4ch amp for the four.

Subs in that extended cab are extremely easy. Almost every company that makes subwoofer enclosures, makes em for the 99-06 ext cab. 2 subs will fit right under the back seat for a perfect fit, (if that works for you keeping those in the way). You can probably get a good deal new on a package deal. I can always find a box with woofers, wiring, and an amp on Clist for about 1/2-1/3 of new. If you don't have any of that, might be a good way to jump in.

Sound deadener makes a big improvement on these trucks. Not only helping clarity, but for quieting down the cab. IMO look into getting sound deadener for the doors.

(I drive an 02 silv).

Only other things I would think of, is if you are going to add subs then I would definitely add "the big 3". Also a larger alternator. the 99-06 came with 2 size alts. IIRC 105 & 130amp alternators. The 105 is the small case, the 130 amp is the large case. They are interchangeable but the 130amp has a larger pulley and uses a v belt that is 3/4" longer. As long as you match the belt you can change the size of the alt. Almost every auto parts store will carry the 160amp large case alt.

If it simplifies things, I will stay with the 2 speakers in the front amplified and then add 1 or 2 Subs to the back. Just to make it easy without having to upgrade the alternator and stuff like that, here is the info on my 2 front speakers.

Rockford P16S-6-inch Punch 2-way component systems

-power range: 6-60 watts RMS (120 watts peak power)

For speaker box options, unless there is something else better made or better for my application, I will order one of these. The Subs have to go under the back seat.

1999-2006 GM CREW CAB 2-10" SEALED

Or

1999-2006 GM CREW CAB 1-10" VENTED

For Subs and an Amp, I am all ears and open to suggestions. I searched through a few and will list a couple Amps and Subs.

Subs - I really don't know here.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206C104/Kicker-43C104.html?tp=68872

or

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1S4102/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P1S4-10.html?tp=68872

Amps - Any help is appreciated. I obviously do not know what the hell I am doing.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P400X4/Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-P400X4.html

For a prefab box, those foxes aren't bad. The mounting depth is going to be the tricky part so I would look into the Sundown SD3 10's. Sundown is having a yardsale right now and the SD3's are only $65. That's a steal IMO. And go for a mono amp for the sub(s) unless you go for a 5 channel.

I wouldn't worry about rear speakers right now or an alternator. Just get a good agm under the hood and you should be fine (doesn't sound like you are going to want a lot of power). But definitely do the big 3.

Also, you can look at Wolfram for the amp. New company that is using Korean boards. I ordered a 3000.1 so no hands on yet. They have a 600.1 if you want a single setup and also a 1500.1 that would work if you'd like to upgrade down the road. The 1500.1 will put out around 900 rms at 2 ohms which would feed those SD3's nicely (get 2 dual 2's to run at 2 ohms). For $378 you can get those SD3's and the wolfram 1500.1.

Those speaker boxes are for a crew cab, You said you had an extended cab. Those crewcab boxes, I don't think will fit in your truck. Those boxes are designed to sit behind the seat. The ext cab box fits under the rear seat.

EXTRA CAB

The under seat boxes have more room for mounting and air space. You say you listen to blues and bluegrass, get a sealed box. Less boomy, more responsive tight hitting bass that's there to accentuate the music and not steal the show. (vented boxes are for loud boomy bass that's trying to make other people feel your music).

1999-2006 GM CLASIC EXT CAB 2-12" SEALED. If you are set on this brand, but that's a little high, IMO without seeing the quality of the prefab box.

Adding rear speakers you really are going to want. I quickly found KICKER 43DSC404 (4") & 43DSC4604 (4" x 6")

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC44/Kicker-43CSC44.html?tp=105&avf=Y

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC464/Kicker-43CSC464.html?tp=105&avf=Y

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-43DSC4604-2-way-Speaker-Pair/dp/B01BLVS3BE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519608204&sr=8-2&keywords=Kicker+43CSC464

would be $50 a pair running 50wRMS so a 4ch amp would be just right to match up with your components. The only difference in adding the rear speakers would be to get a 4ch amp instead of a 2ch amp, and running speaker wire from the amp to the rear speakers. (VERY SIMPLE). The rear speakers aren't going to determine whether or not you change your alt or battery, they pull too small amount of power. Its whether or not you add subs. If you don't increase your factory smaller size battery and alt the subs will pull too much power. Your lights will dim bad, and depending on how big your subs are, your vehicle could even have trouble running.

That p400x4 would be great for your speakers, but that's a little high, you can do better. I would get the rears and a 4ch amp that runs 50w x4 @4 ohms RMS.

That box listed is for 12" speakers, and you linked up 10" subs, just FYI.

Just so we know where youre at, It would help if you knew what size battery and alternator you currently have. Yours might be good enough for something small as is, but we can give you a better idea, and you really want to know where your end goals might be, so you don't keep upgrading the same part several times to compensate for an increased power.

A new 160 amp alt and belt would be about $200 or a little under.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the help so far!!

Just a little more info about the project. This truck is 95% a Work Truck that I will be driving about 40k miles a year and 90% of that I will be riding alone. The only riders that will be in the back seat are my two dogs on occasion. My dad was a smoker so I am giving the inside of the truck a good cleaning. I ordered new carpet, the seats are being professionally cleaned (I hope they are professional) and I plan on getting some good seat covers to hide whatever smoke/dust smells remain in the seats. I have yet to find a way to clean the ac ducts but I am still looking. I am changing spark plugs, wires, cabin and air filters, got new tires and good floor mats for my dirty feet. Upgrading the battery to an AGM style is high on my T0-DO list and I have pictures of my alternator below. I ordered a kit to do "The Big 3" upgrade. It would be nice to not spend $350 on a new upgraded OEM Alternator. I just don't have time to take a chance on an aftermarket Alternator and it looks like the OEM alternators are more reliable. I am pretty sure I will only be playing this sound system while traveling down the road. So, there will be no hanging around with the doors open listening to the music. I did not buy sound deadening devices and I may regret it but I can add it later.

For the Audio, My Rockford Component 4 Ohm speakers for the front doors and my Pioneer AVH-1330NEX have arrived. I dug out my Sub and Box from my old Tundra and it is an 8" Kicker that I thought sounded just fine for what I was doing. I just inspected it and on the back it says 4 Ohms and COMP. It looks like the box that it was in will be fine for the GMC. It looks like I got lucky! I don't see any reason for adding back speakers as I think the Components up front and 1 sub in the back will be just fine. If not, I can upgrade later.

Now to my questions.

1. Do I need to upgrade all of the speaker wire? If so, what gauge and type?

2. Are there any adapters that I need to purchase to connect the audio equipment?

3. I still have not settled on an Amp. Should I get a 4 channel and bridge 2 channels for the sub. Is that correct? My thought process behind this is should I want to add back speakers later it will be easy and also, when this truck wears out the 4 channels should work well with my next vehicle. Please advise.

Here are the links to the components I have now.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1301330NEX/Pioneer-AVH-1330NEX.html?tp=20217&awcp=1t1&awcr=244152608380&awdv=c&awkw=pioneer+avh+1330nex&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9025515

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-f1RHWlAXTFQ/p_20610C84/Kicker-10C84.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P16S/Rockford-Fosgate-P16-S.html?tp=106&awcp=1t1&awcr=109265377403&awdv=c&awkw=%2brockford+%2bfosgate+%2bp16+%2bs&awmt=b&awnw=g&awug=9025515

Adapters and such that I have already purchased.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120823002/Metra-82-3002-Speaker-Mounting-Brackets.html?tp=2824&awcp=1t1&awcr=105374415923&awdv=c&awkw=82+3002&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9025515

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Metra-72-4568-Speaker-Connectors-For-GM/35847558?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=299&adid=22222222227023913869&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52392914775&wl4=pla-79478455815&wl5=9025515&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111830355&wl11=online&wl12=35847558&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_93568_Metra-DP-3002B-Double-DIN-Dash-Kit-for-1999-2002-GM-Full-Size-Trucks-SUV-s.html?utm_source=google&utm_keyword=%2Bdp+%2B3002b+%2Bdash+%2Bkit&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=0PromotionCampaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI57jYiJnQ2QIVQ7jACh3EyAPcEAAYAiAAEgJZ-fD_BwE

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Metra-40-GM10-Factory-Antenna-to-Aftermarket-Radio-Adapter-for-Select-1988-2006-GM-Vehicles/21015865?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=8318&adid=22222222227015208725&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=55462869311&wl4=pla-91505114951&wl5=9025515&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115061914&wl11=online&wl12=21015865&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701858/Metra-70-1858-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977&awcp=1t1&awcr=105374406563&awdv=c&awkw=70+1858&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9025515

Yea don't bother with rear speakers. Sounds like the stuff you have will work just fine. You could do a 4 or 5ch amp. That sub doesn't take much power. You won't need to upgrade the alternator. If the battery is going bad then replace it, but if not I wouldn't bother either

Seat covers aren't going to hide or cover the smell, you will need it professionally cleaned or need to replace the foam and covers. That smell will also be in the door panels, and head liner. You have a better chance of having the dogs cover up the smell, but they are just going to add to it.

Not sure why you think aftermarket alternators are sketchy. If you are going to get one, you just need to know what RPM it gives full rating, and what it gives near or at idle. A graph is best. There is no problem with a known dealer, the problem is buying a cheap alternator off ebay to save $50 and not realizing that it doesn't give that 300 amps until 3300 rpm, (which nobody cruises at), or may even give less at idle than your factory that was half the max amperage, because they did some cheap *** rebuild. After saying all that, you don't need one. Your fuel injection and AC pull about the same amperage a small amp will. If you start doing other things, where you want to add extra lights / light bars, increase your stereo beyond where it is, add auxiliary circuits, then you would want to increase your battery and alternator. Your alternator looks like the small 105amp to me, but I could definitely be wrong. You can buy 105, 130, 145, & 160 amps from the auto parts store for $150-$200. You might get a little light dimming with your current setup (with lights and AC on), but wait until after you do the big 3 upgrade and see if that solves it. You might want to upgrade battery and alternator after that, but I doubt it, and would only think about it when you already need to replace one of them.

If your head unit did 50w RMS, I would say no you don't need one, but I would get a small amp. If that head unit is new, id even take the 20-25% restock fee just to buy a different head unit and you will save the money from buying an amp.. One last time, I would still also spend the $50 and get rear speakers, (before you buy an amp so you could match it up.. and not have to buy another one, but it sounds like you will just live with it). Your spending near $1000 on your system. To add rear speakers before you buy an amp means just buying the speakers. After you buy the amp, it means getting a new amp too, ($50 vs $50 + $100-$150). I'm curious if anyone who tells you not to buy rear speakers knows how low the door speakers sit in this truck (calf to knee height), and how they are easily blocked. Your speakers are so low wattage, you could get away with the factory wire just fine, but if you are using an amp, that means you would have to mount it somewhere to cut it and splice in, which won't work. Just run new speaker wire from the amp, (14-16awg is plenty for the door speakers, I'm sure you could go even smaller, but I wouldn't just because of: when you feed it through the door gap, the cost difference is minimal, and it wont hurt to go big.

The panels come off easy (theres youtube vids if you have never done it). The hardest part will be going through the door gap. The boot connector has a separate clip on each end, Just take those out, and use dialectic grease to pull the wire through, and to reinstall the clips and boot.

Sound deadener is something you can do later if you want, but doesn't sound like you will. Its about getting rid of the ambient noise when you are listening to your stereo, or when you are not and you don't want to hear everything else. That won't cost any thing more or less or take anymore time or anything if you do it later.

Meh... like I said. You shouldn't need a new alternator. I have done a bunch of these trucks. If you have dimming do the big 3 and you'll be fine. Now over 1500w or so and things change

Front component speakers with the tweeter in the A pillar and you will be just fine. No need for rear speakers. They aren't worth the hassle of installing. Your sound is supposed to come from the front.

I had a 2000 sierra ext cab. Also have a 2004 Yukon.

My buddy did a JL w3 8" downfire in a little sealed box in his 02 ext cab. It won't win any bass comps but it will fill in the missing bass from door speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.