New subwoofer smells.

tonyroc14
10+ year member

V8 FTW!
I just bought a store display Kicker CVR 12. I hooked it up, and it works great, very loud. Not clipping or anything. But I can smell the sub. I never smelt the old sub, and I have the amp hooked up the same gain and all. My old sub blew out because I only had one voice coil hooked up to full power. DOH! But anyways, I am wondering if I am putting too much power through it, or maybe it needs more breaking in. thanks

I have an almani 1100 amp. It's not like im running full power. I have the gains adjusted to about 400-410 watts. But take 5% off that. I am going to hit it up with a multimeter later. But I'll go run the sub a little and then feel it. The cone isn't hot if that helps

well The cone was a little warm. The amps are running between 30 and 35 amps. So thats 360 watts-420 watts. But that's without the 4ohm's added into that equation, because I forgot how to do that. (for those unfamiliar with the CVR http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/2007CompVR.pdf ) I'm beginning to think this thing was never broken in. After I drove around for about 20 minutes playing at my listening level, even the cone was warm to the touch. Once I look into this more and I find a problem I am going to take it back. The guy gave me a 3 year warranty which is nice.

I just bought a store display Kicker CVR 12. I hooked it up, and it works great, very loud. Not clipping or anything. But I can smell the sub. I never smelt the old sub, and I have the amp hooked up the same gain and all. My old sub blew out because I only had one voice coil hooked up to full power. DOH! But anyways, I am wondering if I am putting too much power through it, or maybe it needs more breaking in. thanks
do you have a o-scope to verify that? with your limited knowledge i doubt you would be able to tell if the subs are getting a clipped signal.

do you have a o-scope to verify that? with your limited knowledge i doubt you would be able to tell if the subs are getting a clipped signal.
Unless it changed, then yes. When I bought it I had it done at a local audio shop. 62/85 was where it started clipping. I was playing it at 50.

I don't know how much he really used it. It doesn't smell like glue, it smells electronic. But the amp this thing was hooked up to was only like a 100 watt amp. And every time I've been in there for the last year I haven't seen the thing being used. Maybe I'll just take it back and ask... lol.

I started this thread because my friend said all his kickers always smelled. And he never blew one out. And none of that sounds right. I am pretty limited on technical stuff, but I've been doing this stuff for a while now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.