New setup and trying to figure out if a new amp is needed or if it can be wired correctly.

Participant count
  • Participant list

lowcontrol

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi!

My current setup just had a sub go out two days ago, of course right after I talked about changing things up, I guess they heard me. lol Guess it was a sign. Anyways, I decided to swap from the two 10s to six 6.5s. I am hoping I can keep my current amp, but if I have to change it out I will.

Setup I am going to consists of custom built box (I understand volume requirements) six 2ohms Skar 6.5s (200w RMS 400Max) and a JL Audio JX1000/1D (1000W RMS Monoblock Class D).
I am not very fluent in the wiring and the ohms. I have an understanding of it, but not to the point I am willing to risk the system. Is it even possible to wire it correctly (while turning the amp way down of course, or should I just get another amp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Daniel

edit:
Did some more searching, but all calculators only account for 4 speakers, not 6 but From what I have gathered, I could be wrong. (very good chance of that) but the amp specs page shows:
2ohms - 1000w
3ohms - 750w
4ohms - 500w

That being said my calculations show it should be 333w at 6ohms.
If I were to separate the six speakers into 2 sets of 3, and wire each sets voice coils into series which should bump them up to 12ohms for each set, the wire the 2 sets parallel to the amp, it should drop to 6ohm. I could then turn the amp halfway down putting it at roughly 166W to the speakers. Again please correct anything that I got wrong. I am always trying to learn.

Last edited:
Can be wired to 12 ohm, 6 ohm, 3 ohm, or 1/3 ohm. Dare I ask why you are trying to switch to 6.5" subs? OR why skar for that matter?

The 6.5s because of space. The Skars because of opportunity. I got them in a trade NiB with a bunch of other stuff. So they were free-ish. The box I am gonna build will be sealed, then ported when I swap to some Sundowns in the future. (The sealed volume for the Skars is pretty much the same as the Sundown ported)

There is a reason you got them for free.

Not even worth doing in all honesty. Sorry for being blunt but no one here with any sense will recommend Skar speakers or subwoofers. Even though their amplifiers are the same stuff that some other reputable companies sell, no one will give that owner any money over years of scamming people on many forums.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.